• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
It's just putting the work in. I got my surface OOD letter (not SWO pin, but OOD is a good chunk of that PQS) as a winged aviator. It wasn't hard, it was just time and playing the game.

I bet the SWO jacket will look sharp on you?, but since you don’t have the right designator you won’t get it.?

haubby

None
Contributor
I’m a Fire Control Technician (FT1). I was selected back in NOV. for SWO (super excited for the opportunity) I have picked the brains of a few friends who left the enlisted Submarine community and became officers in many different communities. As an FT I’m proficient in LAN administration. I’m heavy in TLAM/ADCAP employment, Surface and Submerged Contact management (qualified), and I’m Chief of the watch COW qualified. Already being qualified in Submarines, I guess my question is how hard is it really to get your SWO pin? I have read a lot of post from past SWOs who make it seem difficult. But given my background and experience it doesn’t seem all that hard. Am I underestimating this? Looking for real insight.

I'm a prior STS1 who went SWO and I'm just about halfway thru my 1st DH tour as Chief Engineer on a destroyer. When I was qualifying SWO, I found most of the subordinate quals pretty straightforward. Have already gone thru boards on your submarine, you'll already the have the boardsmanship figured out. Alot of people blaze thru their CICWO qual and that'll bite in the come their SWO board. On my ship, half of the board is SWO knowledge gained from the various PQS and the other half is tactics. We dont expect SWO candidates to be TAO's and rightfully so, but they should be able to talk thru most mission areas. Congrats on your selection, it's a whole different world than what your used to. Get ready for the ride.

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
For you SWO's out there, if you find yourself in need of guidance on degaussing feel free to PM me your NIPR address and I'll either answer your question or point you in the right direction. The course ya'all get seems to be very limited and a lot of disinformation (or lack of) exists.

Pags

N/A
pilot
For you SWO's out there, if you find yourself in need of guidance on degaussing feel free to PM me your NIPR address and I'll either answer your question or point you in the right direction. The course ya'all get seems to be very limited and a lot of disinformation (or lack of) exists.
What's the purpose of the degauss button on monitors?

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Not related but, two reasons ... dissipate electric fields built up by the CRT in the monitor .. and erase data on the screen!

Dumb question about SWOs is there different versions? For example, a SWO who specializes in engineering, weapons systems, or communication. Or does every SWO learn each aspect and is moved to where they are needed?

Thank you

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Dumb question about SWOs is there different versions? For example, a SWO who specializes in engineering, weapons systems, or communication. Or does every SWO learn each aspect and is moved to where they are needed?

Thank you

The SWO community was discussing "specialized" career tracks and the last I've heard is that's on hold at least for now.

So to answer your question, you first tour you'll very likely be moved to 1-2 different divisions/departments to get that exposure and to help you with deciding what to do after that.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor

Specialization occurs during and after your department head tours. Your division officer tours will be a grab bag of whatever is available and whatever the command needs. When you become a department head, you will usually be kept in positions based upon your first department head tour. So, if you end up a CHENG, you will likely keep doing engineering-related things until you become an XO. If you become an OPS, you will stay in the OPS world. And if you do the WEPS/CSO fleet-up, you will likely keep doing combat systems stuff. Keep in mind that this is the ideal and as a SWO you will be expected to have a firm grasp on all aspects of Surface Warfare and be able to move between jobs easily. It is not unheard of for dudes to do a first DH tour as an OPS and then find themselves in a CHENG billet for their next tour. Also, expect to be the guy getting asked random Navy questions. When I was on staff, I ended up being the amphibious warfare expert and have to do the brunt of amphibious planning because I was a SWO, was not gainfully employed on other tasks when the call came down, and was the first to lock eyes with chief planning officer. This is despite the fact that I have never served on a gator.

Also, there is a Specialty Career Path program that provides for specialization into niche fields after their DH rides. This usually takes you off of the "golden path" for command at sea but allows for the Navy to retain very specialized experience and knowledge base. There are a number of different options for the SCP but most of the dudes I've met are acquisitions professionals, finance managers, and operations analysts who rotate in and out of DC. I have met one Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection SCP guy, but I have no idea how he got there.

There's a third option for specialization and that is through the Reserves. Reserve SWOs tend to fill in billets on the expeditionary warfare side of the house in the Riverines, Cargo Handling, Military Sealift, and other communities. This includes the Merchant Marine/Military Sealift Command reservists who specialize in hauling cargo and fuel around the world and wear the mighty sea chicken pin. Simply put, the Reserves as a SWO are a great option to go do strange and exotic jobs within the Navy without the expectation that you will ever hold command and can provide a very rewarding career on your terms.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Gents,

Is the O-6 CO 9222 billet of Tico-class somehow compatible with SWO(N) career path? XO of such cruiser? AFAIK they got O-5 being CO/XO of DDG and O-6 running nuke guts of the carrier. Is there an opportunity for them to command the AEGIS cruiser or any other O-6 shoeship ?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Gents,

Is the O-6 CO 9222 billet of Tico-class somehow compatible with SWO(N) career path? XO of such cruiser? AFAIK they got O-5 being CO/XO of DDG and O-6 running nuke guts of the carrier. Is there an opportunity for them to command the AEGIS cruiser or any other O-6 shoeship ?
Oh well, scrolling the USN sites, found out: officer with the face as if from old Texas tobacco advert in appearance, kinda real cowboy, a nuke SWO after his carrier RO tour in command of USS Cowpens - https://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/cg63/Pages/Bio1.aspx
I.e. two O-6 tours in row. Does he have a chance for flag?

You're comparing apples to oranges with an RO tour and major command tour. RO is a nuke milestone tour and the CGs are major command. Major command is meant for senior officers to demonstrate performance as they are considered and even groomed for Flag. The major command billets are decided upon every summer by the various officer communities, then signed by the Admiral and sent down to the communities to select and ultimately detail officers. A list/OPNOTE is also released detailing the early (LCDR, commander, and major/captain commands.

Major command billets - Large ships (cruisers, large amphibs, etc.), air wings, destroyer squadrons, type commands, etc.
Captain command billets - Naval installations, school houses, most shore-based commands, etc.
Sequential major command (after already completing a major command) - CVNs and more

So to answer your point, yes he has a "chance" for Flag.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

You're comparing apples to oranges with an RO tour and major command tour. RO is a nuke milestone tour and the CGs are major command. Major command is meant for senior officers to demonstrate performance as they are considered and even groomed for Flag. The major command billets are decided upon every summer by the various officer communities, then signed by the Admiral and sent down to the communities to select and ultimately detail officers. A list/OPNOTE is also released detailing the early (LCDR, commander, and major/captain commands.

Major command billets - Large ships (cruisers, large amphibs, etc.), air wings, destroyer squadrons, type commands, etc.
Captain command billets - Naval installations, school houses, most shore-based commands, etc.
Sequential major command (after already completing a major command) - CVNs and more

So to answer your point, yes he has a "chance" for Flag.

I don't think I have been stationed with any SWO(N) that rose past O-6 even though I know there have been.

azguy

None
I don't think I have been stationed with any SWO(N) that rose past O-6 even though I know there have been.

VADM Rowden, the last SWO Boss, was a nuke; I had a CSG CDR recently who was a nuke. Anecdotal, but I think they tend to do fine for flag (statistically on par with non-nuke).