• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

navy09

None
Wiley- try to get in touch with some JO's in each of those communities and talk to them about what it's really like. You could probably start on here and I'm sure there are officers that your recruiter can put you in touch with as well.

If my only knowledge of the SWO community was what I read on AW, I'd never want to be one in a million years. Obviously this board is a little biased...if you want the truth (good and bad) go to the source.

navy09

None
try sailorbob.com

Good site, but I'd recommend the OP talk to some JOs. The great thing about AW is that there are a ton of JOs on here that can relate what it's really like for the first few years in the aviation community.

Sailor Bob has a lot of O3-O6's who fancy themselves O7-O10's and spend a lot of time talking about stuff that's totally irrelevant to an officer candidate looking for information on the community.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Good site, but I'd recommend the OP talk to some JOs. The great thing about AW is that there are a ton of JOs on here that can relate what it's really like for the first few years in the aviation community.

Sailor Bob has a lot of O3-O6's who fancy themselves O7-O10's and spend a lot of time talking about stuff that's totally irrelevant to an officer candidate looking for information on the community.

but there are probably more JOs on sailorbob.com than O3-O6. they just don't seem to say as much. sailorbob is a place where there are a lot of JO and midn lurkers, and the ones doing all the talking are the more senior officers. i still think it would be a good place to start a thread looking for views from JOs. i'm sure tons would come out of the woodwork and make comments. they're just all waiting for someone to ask them for their opinions LOL! :p

navy09

None
but there are probably more JOs on sailorbob.com than O3-O6. they just don't seem to say as much. sailorbob is a place where there are a lot of JO and midn lurkers, and the ones doing all the talking are the more senior officers. i still think it would be a good place to start a thread looking for views from JOs. i'm sure tons would come out of the woodwork and make comments. they're just all waiting for someone to ask them for their opinions LOL! :p

Don't be silly, there aren't any JOs on SB- they're all at work :icon_wink

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Don't be silly, there aren't any JOs on SB- they're all at work :icon_wink

i bet they have to do something when their standing watch in the middle of the night! haha :D

the thing that gets me anxious about posting on SB is that i feel like i have to start every post with "Sir, " and end every post with "V/R xxxxx". dunno why. (that and checking my capitalization :eek: )

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
ALLCON,

I think some of you need to earn some bars before ribbing peoples communities.

R,

ENS Skim

Don't use a website to judge a whole community.

BigRed389

None

Doubt it.

JOs in my wardroom consider posting/reading on SWONet or SB to be the mark of a future Department Head(ie tool).

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
nah, the tools are the ones saluting everytime he --> http://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/navybio.asp?bioID=138 posts on SB. LOL. <---- (JOKE... she says as she looks gingerly around for any lurkers with lots of stuff on their sleeves :D)

I've been lurking SB for a while (I've never posted) and have found that many of the posts are enjoyable to read as well as objective. Any b/s from JOs is typically debunked within 2-3 posts by the more senior officers and there is a LOT of good SWO-gouge going around. I don't think it's fair to say that people who read/post on SB are tools though, either. There are some very senior officers that post on that site, as in, several flags.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I've been lurking SB for a while (I've never posted) and have found that many of the posts are enjoyable to read as well as objective. Any b/s from JOs is typically debunked within 2-3 posts by the more senior officers and there is a LOT of good SWO-gouge going around. I don't think it's fair to say that people who read/post on SB are tools though, either. There are some very senior officers that post on that site, as in, several flags.

yeah, i was just joking about the DNS posting there. he posts pretty regularly and has offered to help out more junior officers with cool stuff like giving an personal opinion on their promotion packages...

navy09

None

I agree that it can be a good/informative read if you're excruciatingly bored, but there aren't a lot of good, applicable threads for us wannabes.

skim: I wasn't forming my opinion of the SWO community based on SB. I was saying that it's not a great source of information for a newbie. I want to go SWO, but that decision is based on talking to SWOs (like, in real life), going on cruise, etc- not from reading internet forums.

DSL: I have to ask, what's with your name? Those your initials?