• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Really stupid questions about life as a SWO and anything else not aviation related [mod dog wuz hərə]

Wiley

I've read that the initial sea tour for a SWOs is 24 months. Does this mean that you will spend a continuous 24 months on a ship away from your family?

I'm also getting the impression that SWOs spend more time at sea than any of the other officers. Is this true?

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I've read that the initial sea tour for a SWOs is 24 months. Does this mean that you will spend a continuous 24 months on a ship away from your family?

I'm also getting the impression that SWOs spend more time at sea than any of the other officers. Is this true?

i thought sub officers spent the most time at sea

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
You will not be at sea for the entire 24 months straight. That is the amount of time that you will be attached to a ship. You go where it goes. Sometimes it's here, sometimes it's not.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
A LTJG on my cruise found out that flight school wasn't his thing, redesignated SWO and now has 36 months aboard. However, for 2/3ish of that it will be drydocked. It all depends on what ship.

lthackston

Agree with FLYTPAY. I mean, supply is competitive in the fact that there are people that actually WANT to be supply officers... :D

True, but I interpret "competitive" to be tossing the SWO dagger around and always trying to make yourself look better at the expense of your fellow officers. In that respect, at least in my experience, SWOs are much more competitive and Chops are more cooperative in nature. In general anyway.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
If you want some swo gouge, I can try and help you out. PM me.

phrogpilot73

Thanks for the info. Which do you guys think is more competitive... SWO or Supply?
I'm curious why you're asking. Your profile says you're a future NFO. Have you already commissioned? Or are you NPQ from flight/changed your mind and you're applying for OCS? "Competitive" means different things in those two scenarios.

Wiley

I'm curious why you're asking. Your profile says you're a future NFO. Have you already commissioned? Or are you NPQ from flight/changed your mind and you're applying for OCS? "Competitive" means different things in those two scenarios.

I'm still hoping for an NFO slot but as I just turned 27 with no prior service the age waiver doesn't look like it's going to happen. :icon_rage I've always wanted to join the navy though so I'm exploring my other options...

phrogpilot73

I'm still hoping for an NFO slot but as I just turned 27 with no prior service the age waiver doesn't look like it's going to happen. :icon_rage I've always wanted to join the navy though so I'm exploring my other options...
Ahhh, then in that case - I think that Supply is probably more competitive in the application process than SWO. But that's just a guess on my part.