• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Reading comprehension

Flight33

Took the exam yesterday and didn’t do as good as I wanted to. I found many resources up here regarding math and physics which I think will benefit me the next time I take it but I want to know if anyone could give me any suggestions far as the reading portion of the exam. I honestly thought reading was my strongest category out of the three but I stand corrected. The reading portion for me was just a paragraph and then answers. I didn’t understand what they wanted from the passage such as: main idea, supporting details, etc. those who have taken the exam and done exceptionally well could you provide me with how you approached the reading comprehension or at least provide me with the study guide book you used that you felt was beneficial for you.

Thank You

abctotheabc

Took the exam yesterday and didn’t do as good as I wanted to. I found many resources up here regarding math and physics which I think will benefit me the next time I take it but I want to know if anyone could give me any suggestions far as the reading portion of the exam. I honestly thought reading was my strongest category out of the three but I stand corrected. The reading portion for me was just a paragraph and then answers. I didn’t understand what they wanted from the passage such as: main idea, supporting details, etc. those who have taken the exam and done exceptionally well could you provide me with how you approached the reading comprehension or at least provide me with the study guide book you used that you felt was beneficial for you.

Thank You

With reading, the most important thing to do is narrow it down to at two answers. It's basically just spitting back to you information from the article and you need to choose the answer that matches from what you read. So if in the paragraph it says something like "Major so-and-so trains his men to man the ship well" and one of the answers says "Major so-and-so trains his men so that they can be efficient with ship duties", this is wrong because it is not the same thing even though it might sound like it (just an example). If you want some study guides with reading, PM me.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Thank You

Didn’t we talk about searching the forums before asking something that’s been asked before? Much of your answer can be found here:

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?forums/astb.47/

Comprehension goes a long ways...

MadHatter

pilot
Reading was the portion I studied the least for, but I really liked Mometrix's ASTB-E Study Secrets. I went through Barron's as well, but preferred Mometrix's reading portion. It was almost as dry as the real thing. Also when checking your answers read the passage again and figure out why it's the correct choice(should be standard when checking answers). Good luck.

Brett

Flight33

Reading was the portion I studied the least for, but I really liked Mometrix's ASTB-E Study Secrets. I went through Barron's as well, but preferred Mometrix's reading portion. It was almost as dry as the real thing. Also when checking your answers read the passage again and figure out why it's the correct choice(should be standard when checking answers). Good luck.

Brett
I appreciate that, I ordered the Barron’s book along with some other books I searched up here for yesterday.

Flight33

Didn’t we talk about searching the forums before asking something that’s been asked before? Much of your answer can be found here:

https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?forums/astb.47/

Comprehension goes a long ways...
I’ve searched through that thread long before you pasted it to my last thread. And I have found some answers that I was looking for yesterday. But it’s obvious I didn’t get the answer to all my questions. That’s why I’m asking a DIRECT question.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you’re not here to help please don’t reply. Go troll on someone else page. I’m not that guy
Right, you’re just the guy who can’t figure out the reading comprehension portion of the basic military entrance exam. If you want to be a part of the club, you’d better develop a thicker skin while you work on your reading comprehension. Two skills that are essential on this site and as a Naval Officer.

Flight33

Right, you’re just the guy who can’t figure out the reading comprehension portion of the basic military entrance exam. If you want to be a part of the club, you’d better develop a thicker skin while you work on your reading comprehension. Two skills that are essential on this site and as a Naval Officer.
Yea you’re right man, I don’t know nothing. I’m the last one you want to talk to about thicker skin. Cause what you say doesn’t define me or break me. Good day sir

FormerRecruitingGuru

I’ve searched through that thread long before you pasted it to my last thread. And I have found some answers that I was looking for yesterday. But it’s obvious I didn’t get the answer to all my questions. That’s why I’m asking a DIRECT question.

Yea you’re right man, I don’t know nothing. I’m the last one you want to talk to about thicker skin. Cause what you say doesn’t define me or break me. Good day sir

Listen, you need to throttle back, big time. You're being given guidance by either folks pretty senior/experienced in the aviation community as well as those in the recruiting process. Arguing with them does NOTHING but make your dream of becoming an officer even more difficult. The fact you can't comprehend (no pun intended) the basics is concerning at the very least.

There are numerous ASTB threads, hell, there's one directed towards FAQs. I find it hard to believe that there's nothing on reading comprehension. Use your resources that you have on their page. Do the homework, and THEN ask questions. You don't have to create threads for every single thought or question you have in mind.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@Flight33 - Relax, Francis. You're going to need to distinguish between good natured ribbing and an actual personal attack. BTW, you used a double negative in your last post. I think they screen for those on the test as well.

Cause what you say doesn’t define me
@RUFiO181 - Let's detail this young man to my squadron immediately. I have a feeling that what I say can actually define him. :D

FormerRecruitingGuru

@Flight33 - Relax, Francis. You're going to need to distinguish between good natured ribbing and an actual personal attack. BTW, you used a double negative in your last post. I think they screen for those on the test as well.

@RUFiO181 - Let's detail this young man to my squadron immediately. I have a feeling that what I say can actually define him. :D

Brett.jpg