• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

READ ME!!! If you only read ONE thread, read this one today!!

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It is that time again, and I need to reiterate an important topic for those military members posting on the forum...

Practice Good Operational Security!

"Even minutiae should have a place in our collection, for things of a seemingly trifling nature, when enjoined with others of a more serious cast, may lead to valuable conclusion."
— George Washington, known OPSEC practitioner

What is OPSECC? It is the premise that the accumulation of one or more elements of sensitive/unclassified information or data could damage national security by revealing classified information.

What is the goal of OPSEC? As a "countermeasures" program, is to deny an adversary pieces of the intelligence puzzle.

Why am I bringing this up? This forum is a public venture accessible to anyone. That being said, there are many members on this forum that are in various stages of training, or are in uniform around the Fleet. Information posted about them, their unit, or what they may be doing are inappropriate.

In addition, you may get an email or a phone call from a third party in the military that you want to share with other forum members. DON'T POST THEIR NAME, PHONE NUMBER, OR ANY IDENTIFYING INFORMATION WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT. Whether it is from the legal standpoint of providing details on a member in the military, or from the operational security standpoint of where a member is or may be going, if in doubt, edit it out or don't post it!

We have been really good in policing and making sure that information not suitable for public dissemination is not being posted on this website, from both your assistance, the help of the moderators and the admins.

It also goes farther than this. Many of you email friends and family, or talk on the phone about military members that are friends or are in the family. Help them out, and think about what you say if it is of a sensitive nature.

Thanks for your help, and if you want to know more about OPSEC, visit these websites:
http://www.ioss.gov/

Comments, thoughts?

-- John

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur 100%.

Keep it sanitized...don't argue aircraft capabilities or systems with people typing broken english...you get the message here.

r/
G

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur, We are at war so just think before you post it.
Loose lips er fingers sink ships

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
We had some middy post about an exercise he observed last summer. His post was innocent enough, he just wanted to meet other people who had also observed the exercise. The real kicker was that he'd been on a sub. If you ever ride on a sub, NEVER talk about it! Never talk about any events you observe. If you want to talk about stuff, tell sea stories that don't include operational details.

Believe me, people know this page exists - some of them are the bad guys too.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I think PropStop has a good take on the guidelines --- if it's current/recent operational stuff --- don't go there. If it's "history" or sea-stories and "old news" (whatever that is) --- then it's probably O.K. If it's been in the public domain and reported on/discussed in the media, probably O.K., but don't offer any "insider information" just to feel good/important or embellish on what's out there.

warradio.jpg
looselips2.jpg

That's why I like telling Sea-Stories ... they "age" well and just get better as time goes on ..... :captain_1

Kycntryboy

pilot
Well that was/is the longest thread I'll read today.
Agree, because we don't won't to be all Geraldo up in here.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
something else to think about b4 posting. Everyone has said some good things about exercises, a/r specs and other technical stuff, but also please do not post personal info about others. IE numbers, names, jobs, stories they may have told you. If they wanted their info on the net, let them put it there.

Also this was posted in a private section as well, but I will air it here too. For those that are in the service, please be careful/professional when commenting on policy both military and non military. This is an open forum and LOTS of people read these forums.

nough said.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
and another thing!

If i catch anyone talking about that incident last weekend with the sheep, i'll kick you a$$! Nobody needs to know about that. I know it was a bahhd idea.

I mean, it was someone else...with a sheep....uh...maybe it was Patmack

Reactions: bch

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
To go along with things already said, Don't discuss deployment schedules. I mean general rotation is fine, but don't get suckered into posting what unit you are with and where you will be going...

Once in Iwakuni, a new squadron arrived on UDP, and someone from the base paper went and interviewed some of the squadron members. The person asked about their deployment schedule and yep, you guessed it, they got it- down to the dates, locations and even some of the # of A/C going to each. It made it into the base paper, but someone was able to catch it before it made circulation...

Same goes with summer cruise schedules... If you are going overseas don't tell everyone what date and where the ship/sub/squadron is picking you up and dropping you off. It may not sound like anything hurtful, but there could be someone out there who has a lot of pieces to the puzzle and is missing just that one and when they put them togather they get the big picture.

Good things to remember for OPSEC sake:

The less you act like you know something or have access to information, the less people will be interested in finding such information out.

Alcohol has an tremendous abilities to get people to talk about things they normally wouldn't, remember that the next time you are drinking in public and the topic switches to you and your job. You never know who is listening (especially overseas)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
John, John, John,
You are stealing all my IO/IW (Information Operations/Information Warfare) thunder!!! Please remember OPSEC while on this site and others.
-ea6bflyr

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
ea6bflyr said:
John, John, John,
You are stealing all my IO/IW (Information Operations/Information Warfare) thunder!!! Please remember OPSEC while on this site and others.
-ea6bflyr
lol, doing my best!

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
Would like to remind everyone about a related issue. This site recently had a post about a mishap before the Navy had released information to the public.

NEVER POST ANY NON-PUBLIC INFORMATION ABOUT A MISHAP.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
It is that time again to remind all our users about OPSEC on this website. Please take a moment to review the first post if you are unfamiliar. Thank you.