• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I am told, Desert Storm, although there were load outs in Vietnam the vets refer to as Heavy Hog. And that was before TOW. I'll have to ask for clarification.
The paint job (including the inverted V) screams ODS but the weapons load is anything late 1970’s and forward.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The paint job (including the inverted V) screams ODS but the weapons load is anything late 1970’s and forward.
Although the aircraft did not serve in DS, it is our homage to Desert Storm Cobras. It is the weapons configuration I am not so familiar with. Would a Cold War Northern European major tank threat find value in 38 2.75 inch rockets? In DS, I think so.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Although the aircraft did not serve in DS, it is our homage to Desert Storm Cobras. It is the weapons configuration I am not so familiar with. Would a Cold War Northern European major tank threat find value in 38 2.75 inch rockets? In DS, I think so.
I think that is about right. A Soviet tank division had about 130 tanks but several hundred more thin-skinned vehicles. Using the logic of “deep battle” within the Air-Land Battle system the AH-1’s would focus on a divisions rear echelon equipment and those tanks left in reserve.

The rockets would shatter any of those 40 mile long support columns stuck on a single road!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Following up on the legendary helicopter pilot posts in another thread, I just learned that COL Bruce Crandall will be the Grand Marshall of the East Valley Veteran's Parade in Mesa, AZ this November. Our M model Huey Gunship appears in the parade every year. Will be very special having COL Crandall present. He lived many years in Mesa running the Public Works Department. Currently in Seattle. Looking forward to this. Will be the second Huey Pilot Medal of Honor recipient I will have the honor of working with.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Following up on the legendary helicopter pilot posts in another thread, I just learned that COL Bruce Crandall will be the Grand Marshall of the East Valley Veteran's Parade in Mesa, AZ this November. Our M model Huey Gunship appears in the parade every year. Will be very special having COL Crandall present. He lived many years in Mesa running the Public Works Department. Currently in Seattle. Looking forward to this. Will be the second Huey Pilot Medal of Honor recipient I will have the honor of working with.
Nice! A legend in Army aviation.

number9

Contributor
I just read his Wikipedia page.. I didn't realize he was the pilot played by Greg Kinnear in "We Were Soldiers"!

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Rode my BMW GS to work on base yesterday for the first time - wasn't sure if I'd be able to - or not. But after querying the sentry - "Sir you are a civillian, you can ride on base with a jet pack if you'd like". Win!

From my office door it was interesting to see a lone B-2 on the ramp! And a couple of C-5M's at the air freight terminal outside my window...

1653058331765.png

1653058347684.png

AIRMMCPORET

Plan “A” Retired
Rode my BMW GS to work on base yesterday for the first time - wasn't sure if I'd be able to - or not. But after querying the sentry - "Sir you are a civillian, you can ride on base with a jet pack if you'd like". Win!

From my office door it was interesting to see a lone B-2 on the ramp! And a couple of C-5M's at the air freight terminal outside my window...

View attachment 35101

View attachment 35102
I wanna see you try the jet pack.?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
A fun video on Restricted Category UH-60A used in firefighting in Northern California - Mark Pilkington is a great guy, a well known broker of Cessna work-horse airplanes and has a fledgling YT Channel "Skywagon University" - a great choice to subscribe.

This is a real treat for us Helo Bubbas - want to hear @Gatordev and others reactions...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My big takeaway from that video is just how good the NATOPS program is. Sure, there are things in there that people think are important to have memorized that really aren't, and sometimes things that are good get pulled out, but overall, it's a relatively easy resource to pull information out of when you don't have 20 years of experience flying them to fall back on...or when you have that 20 years and know the general theme, but can't remember some specific detail.

And about 1000 times better than a commercial AFM.