• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Elon talked about this on a podcast. The energy density in batteries isn't there, and the time to recharge is prohibitive. It will be a long time before a viable, heavier than air electric vehicle is produced.
Depends on how you define practical. There are a couple small training aircraft about to go full IOC. And then there is short range island hopping, replacing batteries on a slide in pallet on short turns, charging and rotating them. Can't recall the airline. Think they are operating that way now.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Depends on how you define practical. There are a couple small training aircraft about to go full IOC. And then there is short range island hopping, replacing batteries on a slide in pallet on short turns, charging and rotating them. Can't recall the airline. Think they are operating that way now.

Oh yea. I forgot to mention the context was commercial aviation.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Is that something unique (ie, selling point) of your club? I've never seen anything other than Hobbes as the billing time (usually with an oil pressure, or for helos, a position sensor). Even with a constant speed prop, the tach is always going to be lower than Hobbes due to ground time and landing at low power.
Gator - our club charter requires we operate at 0 net profit - meaning all funds/remittences are for "costs" only - we rebalance our usage fees and dues every year. All maintenenace requirements are tach, therefor all maintenence costs are tach based. Our usage is charged purely on tach. So for a 172 @ $100/tach hour, if the engine is spinning at <2500 RPM, thats quite a savings. Even in a 182 or 206 with CS prop, local patter is often flown at a power setting well below the governing range of the prop govenor. Typically .7 Tach per 1.0 flight hour logged. Shoot if you are good and due full stops and taxi back, you can get this down to .6 tach hour for logged flight hour assuming you never get into cruise and are just doing pattern work :)

Hobbes meters are there purely to enable charging "rental usage". On the few airplanes we have that have a hobbs meter, it is disabled and placarded inop.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's definitely a good deal. If I run my CS prop at 2300, it tends to match your numbers. It's a bit closer to the Hobbes if I cruise at 2500 for 2+00 or more.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Is that something unique (ie, selling point) of your club? I've never seen anything other than Hobbes as the billing time (usually with an oil pressure, or for helos, a position sensor). Even with a constant speed prop, the tach is always going to be lower than Hobbes due to ground time and landing at low power.

One club I'm in is Tach and one is Hobbs. Flew this yesterday for a 2.3 Hobbes and 1.8 tach (@ $170/hour on the tach) but I had slow flight, stalls and a couple approaches in there to play with the new panel so a lot of time at less than rental power. Both models work fine.

2kFZGUN.jpg

number9

Contributor
I thought I wanted to get my PPL ever since I was a kid. Even as an adult, I'm still the kind of guy that looks up every time there's a plane in the sky.

I'm at the point in my life where I can comfortably afford a PPL. I took 3 hours' worth of lessons this summer in a Citabria*, and had a lot of fun while I was up there. Yet I don't think I was excited as I expected; after we landed I did not get that "I can't wait to back up there again". Is this normal? I thought I would be absolutely jonesing to get up there again, but I wasn't.

I always considered that my actual goal was to get a rotary wing license. I considered that a fixed-wing PPL would be a good intro to aviation and, hopefully, make me a better pilot.

* Notice I said "a PPL" and not "my own plane".. :)
** If I went through it, I'd almost certainly get my PPL in a C172 or Tomahawk given they're literally half the hourly price of a Citabria

Pags

N/A
pilot
I thought I wanted to get my PPL ever since I was a kid. Even as an adult, I'm still the kind of guy that looks up every time there's a plane in the sky.

I'm at the point in my life where I can comfortably afford a PPL. I took 3 hours' worth of lessons this summer in a Citabria*, and had a lot of fun while I was up there. Yet I don't think I was excited as I expected; after we landed I did not get that "I can't wait to back up there again". Is this normal? I thought I would be absolutely jonesing to get up there again, but I wasn't.

I always considered that my actual goal was to get a rotary wing license. I considered that a fixed-wing PPL would be a good intro to aviation and, hopefully, make me a better pilot.

* Notice I said "a PPL" and not "my own plane".. :)
** If I went through it, I'd almost certainly get my PPL in a C172 or Tomahawk given they're literally half the hourly price of a Citabria
You need more hours to get to the point that flying is enjoyable. When you're getting trained it can be hard to enjoy it because you're focused on doing the work of not crashing, talking the right way, etc.

number9

Contributor
You need more hours to get to the point that flying is enjoyable. When you're getting trained it can be hard to enjoy it because you're focused on doing the work of not crashing, talking the right way, etc.
Thanks, this was very helpful. Was there a particular point where you thought you passed this threshold?

ChuckMK23

pilot
One club I'm in is Tach and one is Hobbs. Flew this yesterday for a 2.3 Hobbes and 1.8 tach (@ $170/hour on the tach) but I had slow flight, stalls and a couple approaches in there to play with the new panel so a lot of time at less than rental power. Both models work fine.

2kFZGUN.jpg
Thats a nice looking RG!! I always like them and for a while, they were the ugly ducks of the high perf single engine market and real bargains could be had (as recent as 2019). Our A&P and our insurance broker talked us out of buying one but honestly I wished we had pulled the trigger anyway. Great XC machine. The non fuel injected version of the O-540 is fine although you don't get the fuel economy possible in the injected version. And you know, carb heat - lol. Lets see a pic of that panel next time you fly!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks, this was very helpful. Was there a particular point where you thought you passed this threshold?

It will be different for different people. When I first started, I never didn't want to go for a flight, but that didn't mean I wanted to be up there all day. Fatigue, for multiple reasons, comes fast, which can quickly take out the enjoyment.

Compare that to when I started Primary in the T-34, and being someone that had flown for 12 years prior to that (off and on when time and budget allowed), I was questioning my choices after the first flight. The second flight was slightly better, but still very taxing. Then things became "normal" and the enjoyment quickly set in and I loved all but a handful of flights during Primary/Intermediate. So it can happen to all of us.

Another idea is you could get an initial flight in a Robinson and see if maybe helicopter flight is more enjoyable. Yes, the process for a PPL is more expensive, but if it's something that's more enjoyable, maybe that's worth it.

ChuckMK23

pilot
The joys of flying out of a mil airfield (WPAFB in this case) - you are held hostage until you give the base ops over lords a paper multi part (with carbon paper) DD 1801. I inevitably fuck it up and then I'll forget to close the VFR flight plan I never wanted to file anyways! But found a CNATRA 1801 cheat sheet online, so maybe I get it right today ? PXL_20211005_182019776.jpg