• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Last flight for a little while today (in for a condition inspection and new trim motor this week. It was a nice day for flying with a bit of bounce from the warm Indian Summer we are having here.

A nice view of the Woodie Wilson Bridge. I can see my house from here!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Southwest Chapter, AAHF is at a milestone on its H model Huey restoration to airworthy status. Yesterday was detail painting. Is going to be in the livery of the 190th AHC, Vietnam. Cabin interior and panel is complete. Waiting on the engine to come back from overhaul. The transmission, mast, and blades are standing by. 2789927900

brownshoe

Contributor
Last flight for a little while today (in for a condition inspection and new trim motor this week. It was a nice day for flying with a bit of bounce from the warm Indian Summer we are having here.

A nice view of the Woodie Wilson Bridge. I can see my house from here!
View attachment 27898
Ah yes, the Woodie! When I was chief engineer for Shirley Contracting I had to cross her twice a day. I lived in Upper Marlboro and Shirley's home office was on Quaker Lane in Alexandria, quite a trip some days.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Ah yes, the Woodie! When I was chief engineer for Shirley Contracting I had to cross her twice a day. I lived in Upper Marlboro and Shirley's home office was on Quaker Lane in Alexandria, quite a trip some days.
In this day and age that trip every day would be a soul killer!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Southwest Chapter, AAHF is at a milestone on its H model Huey restoration to airworthy status. Yesterday was detail painting. Is going to be in the livery of the 190th AHC, Vietnam. Cabin interior and panel is complete. Waiting on the engine to come back from overhaul. The transmission, mast, and blades are standing by. View attachment 27899View attachment 27900
Very nice! How does one fly for your organization? Is it like the Confederate Air Force? Uhhhhh....excuse me...Commemorative Air Force!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Very nice! How does one fly for your organization? Is it like the Confederate Air Force? Uhhhhh....excuse me...Commemorative Air Force!
It's really not like the CAF at all. Most chapters or CAF air bases, as you may know, require a substantial donation at the very least to pay for your check out. People fly for our organization based on Sweat Equity and their quals. The vast majority are former Army guys that flew the Huey and have invested a ton of time maintaining and supporting the operation at air shows and the like. You don't pay for your training. You don't pay for fuel. They even have a VOQ (bunk room and kitchen) set up so if you chose, no hotel expense.

The hard part is just getting the support hours in, getting noticed and selling your resume. Like a Reserve squadron they want guys that can commit to multiday events throughout the air show season. We have an O-1 bird dog in the Legacy chapter at Atlanta. I may see about flying that as a pilot since they're running short of people that have tailwheel time. I'd have to nonrev back and participate in the many air shows they attend back east. Out here the best I could do is fly as a crew chief which essentially is the Safety Observer for public pax flights. Full weekend of training for that.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I don't know where else to put this, but in the middle of office moving day and the new guy gets to clean out one of the old offices. Stumbled on boxes of 5-10 year old DoD FLIPS. Haven't seen an IFR supplement in 25 years! 27972