• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Bringing our oldest 172 back from avionics shop today after G5 upgrade. Was actually best value solution after old school DG crapped out.

Notice course, heading, and glide slope displayed in both HSI and PFD modes! Win.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
More on my flight....on the way back I had a small adventure. Got slapped around a bit flying through the winds rising off the hills.

In an odd chain of events my radio stopped transmitting just as I needed to contact Potomac Approach to enter the FRZ. With no comms I had to make a precautionary landing at KHWY where I quickly discovered a blown fuse. After and easy fix I got this picture of an Albatross. It’s for sale if anyone is interested....

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The convective activity never materialized- seriously tell @mad dog to stop being a pussy about GA flying and we will do a mini AW fly in somewhere for lunch!

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Here's a question for discussion: Automation.

For Part 135, I can't hand-fly IFR, although the majority of my approaches on a checkride are hand-flown. Seems like a decent mix of practice.

But what about for GA? It's SPIFR too, so why not fly approaches with as much automation as you can (which is really only 1 1/2 axes, at most)? I've been wrestling with this dilemma lately. Yesterday I picked up a practice ILS and kept it coupled until about the last mile. It was a way to exercise the gear and also allow me to refine power settings for the approach. At the last mile, I couldn't keep up with power changes because of getting bumped around, so I decoupled and hand flew the rest of the approach to keep the needles centered.

It seemed like a decent combo. Thoughts?