• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's a Garmin GMX-200
Really ok for SA but thats about it.

I know that one. I fly with it all the time. It's actually very useful for other things like NEXRAD, Aircraft wx radar, and TCAS. I also have started using it for the approach overlay and put the 530 up a different screen (some of that is company training-based).

What I was mentioning was the thing below your transponder. It just looks like an old school RNAV, though it may be something else.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Alternator, internal battery in the Aspen and aircraft's lead-acid battery (Garmin G5 does same approach) - so lots of redundancy. For IFR, a single alternator and an aircraft battery are sufficient for Part 91 ops...

Hmm, okay. I'm going to need to talk to an avionics guy for some details then. Sounds easier than what I (perhaps mis-) understood if you replace the vacuum system.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
What I was mentioning was the thing below your transponder. It just looks like an old school RNAV, though it may be something else.

Ahhhh - thats a KING KAP-140 dual axis autopilot - the electro luminescent display comes across as gibberish when photographed...
Heading, Nav, VS, Alt, Approach modes. As a pilot you still have to manage throttle and rudder.

ChuckMK23

pilot
I was doing the CFI thing this afternoon - and was flying in the vicinity of the mishap aircraft - did not witness the mishap. But clear day and calm winds...

Piper Navajo plowed into a suburban neighborhood while on approach to KLUK.

ChuckMK23

pilot
Well the FCF pilot in me continues. Just finished static ground runs on new engine. Getting the cowling back on and about to launch on test flight. Factory reman Lycoming O-360 180hp.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Got the buyer of my Cessna 170B up yesterday. He paid big bucks for insurance with zero time in type. He does have 175hrs in a Cessna 120. First landing was awesome. Very impressed. The next 4 he dropped in or made other rookie mistakes. Very ugly, but I didnt have to take it from him. He is going to fly it home to NC this Friday. Very sad. Last flight in it was right seat riding through someone else's ugly landings. Didn't touch the controls once. I did get a free lunch.

ChuckMK23

pilot
I just sold our clubs PA-28R-201 1978 Arrow. Great aircraft but with engine past TBO (but running perfectly and low oil consumption) and pending AD on wing spar (Post ERAU NTSB findings) - it was time to divest. $42K out the door to a willing buyer that was thrilled with the value. I'm hunting for another 1998-2003 C 182 Skylane. prices are ridiculous.

But I am discovering value in later model 182RG's. I have a great relationship with maintenance shop and an avionics shop so buying something that is sound and airworthy but needs some avionics and interior TLC is something I am open to. I can do a lot with Garmin's new autopilots and things like the G5 and used GNS 430/530 WAAS navigators....

Its always sad seeing a well loved airplane go to another owner.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
After a way too long break from flying (away for some professional eduction and just crap weather) I got back into the air today. Buzzed @Pags house ? and flew down the Rappahannock River to the bay then up the York River to West Point for a coffee stop. On the way back I flew over the Blossom Point Naval Research facility. If you can blow up the picture you can see an A-4 parked down there!

Pags

N/A
pilot
After a way too long break from flying (away for some professional eduction and just crap weather) I got back into the air today. Buzzed @Pags house ? and flew down the Rappahannock River to the bay then up the York River to West Point for a coffee stop. On the way back I flew over the Blossom Point Naval Research facility. If you can blow up the picture you can see an A-4 parked down there!
View attachment 22060
View attachment 22061
Does your plane have green stripes on the undersides of the wings? I was drinking beer on my deck yesterday afternoon after spreading some mulch and a light civil flew over. I did say to myself, "I wonder if that's griz?"

I was driving by 2W5 and some guy had his hangar open and was giving his Stearmann with Navy marking some sun. I had stuff to do and couldn't stop to check it out ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Does your plane have green stripes on the undersides of the wings? I was drinking beer on my deck yesterday afternoon after spreading some mulch and a light civil flew over. I did say to myself, "I wonder if that's griz?"

I was driving by 2W5 and some guy had his hangar open and was giving his Stearmann with Navy marking some sun. I had stuff to do and couldn't stop to check it out ?
No fancy stripes on mine, just dead bugs and dried grass from the backside taxiway at VKX. There was something burning on the north side of 2W5 yesterday making takeoffs a bit messy. I wonder if the photo I posted of the Stearman at VKX is the same one at 2W5? It is a pretty ship.