• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Not at all! Nothing tastes so good as a hamburger you decided to fly too in your own airplane. Some weekends I literally poke the map, look for nearest airport with a diner, and off I go. I spend most of my time below 2000 so the views are great and if the weather is nice I can slow to around 90 knots and slide the canopy back.
Look, I know you single anchor bubbas love talking about aviation, but when I hear “$100 hamburger” I want to hear about double patties of kobe beef with a free range wild boar bacon truffle sauce, heirloom pickles, buttered toasted ciabatta roll, and some sort of endless sweet potato parmesan fries on the side. Now how much JP-8 you intend to burn in transit just to eat a plain old Applebee’s microwaved slider.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Look, I know you single anchor bubbas love talking about aviation, but when I hear “$100 hamburger” I want to hear about double patties of kobe beef with a free range wild boar bacon truffle sauce, heirloom pickles, buttered toasted ciabatta roll, and some sort of endless sweet potato parmesan fries on the side. Now how much JP-8 you intend to burn in transit just to eat a plain old Applebee’s microwaved slider.
You need to get out more. There is some wonderful food out there at little GA fields. No microwave sliders for me.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
If you like BBQ, the Pik-N-Pig in NC (BQ1) is really good and quite famous.

Last edited:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Slightly tongue in cheek - granted not a ring laser gyro system you guys have in the Romeo and Sierra....but I would wager these Garmin units have a MTBF that is close to the same redundant system you guys have.

One major difference is that fleet systems don't require WAAS to be as insanely accurate as they are, and will stay that accurate even if the government switches the civilian switch off.

The more capable Garmin units are really expensive and require a full panel rebuild. Barring that, your choices are the G5 or the Aspen. Two G5’s use up about as much as an Aspen but the Aspen units have a lot of capability...to match the price tag.

Digital AIs are the easy part. The issue is the GPS/NAVCOM setup and having the AIs able to talk to the GPS. Trying to figure out which units can talk to a Garmin is where my initial research started to get muddled. Plus then there's the price of just one 650, which I don't believe supports Narcos, and now I'm up to having to buy another NAVCOM and the....kaching!

But this is all just some initial research.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
So this just happened - one of my club's pilots drove our $350,000 C206H into a steel pole (while putting it away in our hangar). I'm on the phone with insurance adjuster now.... yeah, that's not gonna buff out!

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
So this just happened - one of my club's pilots drove our $350,000 C206H into a steel pole (while putting it away in our hangar). I'm on the phone with insurance adjuster now.... yeah, that's not gonna buff out!

View attachment 21264

Come on @ChuckMK23....if the ship below can fly, you “mildly nicked” bird should be fine!