• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Finally knocked out my IPC after getting canceled last week because it was...IFR. Yeah, had a chuckle about that one.

Anywho, flew a different 172 than originally planned. Still had the G5s but didn't have the 650. Not the end of the world, as seeing how the G5s work was good and it made it easier since I fly with a 530/430 combo at work. I think the last time I flew a 172 it was as a teenager. I guess it's better than herpes, but only slightly.

48914229808_d2bacd0668_b.jpg

Also, this week I finally got the call to deliver my plane for it's upgrade. As it turns out, weather was less than ideal, so IFR it is. The last time I'll see a lot of these instruments. And on to the 21st century.

48920977347_bacc544f40_b.jpg

Now if I could just get a hangar...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Let's review semicircular cruising altitudes, shall we?

It's JAX Approach. Everything is opposite. True story (per MOU). It actually was better than that, but I think we were running into a "knows the FARs really well vs exceeding real life experience" situation. Still, I learned stuff, so it's all a net positive.

On a more serious note, my real "hit" was unusual attitude recovery. I guess the FAA's latest stall=death push has really made people sensitive. Nevermind the fact that that's not how aerodynamics actually works, but whatever...IPC complete.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
On a more serious note, my real "hit" was unusual attitude recovery. I guess the FAA's latest stall=death push has really made people sensitive. Nevermind the fact that that's not how aerodynamics actually works, but whatever...IPC complete.
Oh geez... on that topic, have you looked at Slow Flight in the ACS (new PTS)?
Accomplish coordinated straight-and-level flight, turns, climbs, and descents with the airplane configured as specified by the evaluator without a stall warning (e.g., airplane buffet, stall horn, etc.).
That's not slow flight. They should call that maneuver "fucking stupid flight."

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, dumb. Another thing I re-reconfirmed was that I don't want to teach in a Cessna/piston any time soon. For multiple reasons.

Meanwhile, one of the CFIs asked me about transitioning over to HEMS/HAA (former helo guy). Guess I made it sound sexy!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Love the baby Grummans. Met a guy couple months ago that owns an AA-1 he ordered through an employer program when he was a factory assembler and actually helped build. Awesome story how he followed it every day. He personally made sure the other guys knew it was his and to give it their best.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They're all around great planes. I got my license in a -5 and the extra power of the -5B is great. More maneuverable than a -172 with a fantastic cruise/fuel burn ratio make it great. The fact that you can actually see in front of you, compared to a Cessna or Piper makes it even better.

thosefreakinATs

insert witty comment here
pilot
one of these days id like to pick up an aa5 to fly the wife and kids around on trips and what not. teach the kids to fly. only roadblock is convincing the wife thats its a "reasonable" purchase

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I have fond memories of flying my dad's AA-5, and flying with him. It is no doubt not a reasonable purchase, and I'd wait until at least your JO shore tour before going down that road, but they are cool planes and the whole series is only going up in value.

A pic I found on Flightaware. Note blue and gold paint...very intentional when my dad had it painted many years ago. I have no idea when this was taken, probably long after my dad sold it, but it's good to see that it's still flying, especially since I know the owner after my dad had a fuel tank/leak issue.