• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Random Griz Aviation Musings

GroundPounder

Not just any hotel, a pilot's commuter hotel. Same folks that bitch about the hotels the company provides us willingly spend their own money to stay in an old Best Western or Super 8. ?

I know ya’ll are joking somewhat, but trust me on this one. After being the police for 31 years, a seedy hotel is the last place to save money. I read on here how much you make, save money another way!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
BW is usually pretty decent quality if the building itself isn't too old. Comparable to a middle of the road chain hotel, such as TownePlace, Wingate, Doubletree, though probably bringing down the average for the group. The kind of place where the complementary breakfast is probably gonna include powdered eggs, but there will be a decent selection of stuff including the mini waffle irons, some actual fresh fruit (not rotten oranges), and the breakfast sausages aren't going to be those chewy USDA Grade D bulk things. Most of the stuff in the gym is going to work, sometimes nothing is broken and it all works. Some of these kinds of hotels have a restaurant onsite but I don't think I've seen that with the BW.

It's not Super 8, Quality, or Red Roof territory though, heheh. Super 8, ah, no thanks. I only fell for the "oh, this hotel is ten bucks cheaper" once in my life and I learned from my mistake.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I know ya’ll are joking somewhat, but trust me on this one. After being the police for 31 years, a seedy hotel is the last place to save money. I read on here how much you make, save money another way!
Airline pilots are cheap fucks. I know plenty of commuters that look for the cheapest hotel possible. Wink is also right that they will then complain about the quality of the airline provided layover hotel.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not just any hotel, a pilot's commuter hotel. Same folks that bitch about the hotels the company provides us willingly spend their own money to stay in an old Best Western or Super 8. ?

Ahhh...The Radisson at OAK. Nothing like the Oakland PD flipping a u turn with lights and sirens and the whole deal to tell a bunch of pilots walking to jack in the box to get their asses back to the hotel so they don't get murdered.

I was always partial to new La Quintas when I was still commuting. The old ones can be shit, but the new ones are usually clean and well maintained with comfy beds and the price was right on first year pay.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
My best commuter hotel story doesn't involve a LaQuinta or a Denny's, although it was a Quality right across the street from a Denny's.

Really nice family business, like you can tell they're pitching in with who mans the front desk during the night, very accommodating to flight crew, super quick reservation over the phone if you've stayed there before, same with check in, good shuttle service...

Some knucklehead in the room across from mine must have started a fire in their room. I'm not really sure how, I mean any of the different rooms I ever stayed in I never noticed a single thing suspicious about wiring or the electrical appliances. The building was aging but at the same time they were investing in it and maintaining it, i.e. partial roof replacement going on one month, that kind of thing.

Anyway, as I was finishing my shower I thought I heard a ruckus. A few minutes later it got a lot louder followed by the sound of the fire alarm. Hmmm, don't want to be late. I was just about ready anyway, most of my stuff was already packed, and us pilots always seem to have a personal routine pretty much down to the minute- or better. Opened the door and stepped out into the hallway just like I always do, except this time there was moderately-thick smoke from about waist-height and up. The fire doors halfway down the hallway were now closed (and I may be dumb but I'm not dumb enough to use the elevator). So I marched down to the stairwell, carried my bags down a couple of flights, clipped them back together, and nonchalantly dropped off my room keycard at the front desk on my way out.

I also made sure my tie was straight before I left the room, same as always.

But again, not a LaQuinta (or BW, or...).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
My best commuter hotel story doesn't involve a LaQuinta or a Denny's, although it was a Quality right across the street from a Denny's.

Really nice family business, like you can tell they're pitching in with who mans the front desk during the night, very accommodating to flight crew, super quick reservation over the phone if you've stayed there before, same with check in, good shuttle service...

Some knucklehead in the room across from mine must have started a fire in their room. I'm not really sure how, I mean any of the different rooms I ever stayed in I never noticed a single thing suspicious about wiring or the electrical appliances. The building was aging but at the same time they were investing in it and maintaining it, i.e. partial roof replacement going on one month, that kind of thing.

Anyway, as I was finishing my shower I thought I heard a ruckus. A few minutes later it got a lot louder followed by the sound of the fire alarm. Hmmm, don't want to be late. I was just about ready anyway, most of my stuff was already packed, and us pilots always seem to have a personal routine pretty much down to the minute- or better. Opened the door and stepped out into the hallway just like I always do, except this time there was moderately-thick smoke from about waist-height and up. The fire doors halfway down the hallway were now closed (and I may be dumb but I'm not dumb enough to use the elevator). So I marched down to the stairwell, carried my bags down a couple of flights, clipped them back together, and nonchalantly dropped off my room keycard at the front desk on my way out.

I also made sure my tie was straight before I left the room, same as always.

But again, not a LaQuinta (or BW, or...).
But did you have your pilot hat on at a rakish angle?