• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Rand study on USAF pilot retention

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I'm mainly wondering if the majority of people in this thread would do it all over again. 10 years is a long time.
Recently passed year 11 and I still find that my personal mindset toward medical procedures and administrative paperwork is the same as it was when I started:

"You want me to do what? ? Okay. So what you're really saying is I need to sign here to continue flying? Done. ?"

Farva01

BKR
pilot
I looked my DH's in the eyes when I was a JO and told them I never wanted to do their fucking job. I planned on switching over to reserves after my first time in Fallon. I tried to jump ship after my DH tour and second time in Fallon. I planned on retiring after my CO tour.
I am most likely going to sign on for ten more years in October. Yeah, I would do it again.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
I'm mainly wondering if the majority of people in this thread would do it all over again. 10 years is a long time.
As everyone else is saying, F yes. I'm "quitting" at my MSR, but doing this was the best decision I've made in my life, for a lot of reasons. And I'd like to think I've made a few other good ones.

Farva01

BKR
pilot
I looked my DH's in the eyes when I was a JO and told them I never wanted to do their fucking job. I planned on switching over to reserves after my first time in Fallon. I tried to jump ship after my DH tour and second time in Fallon. I planned on retiring after my CO tour.
I am most likely going to sign on for ten more years in October. Yeah, I would do it again.

May not be clear, but I didn't mean this to be funny. I have always been on the fence because I am a daydreamer about greener grass. But my XO/CO tour has been way better than my DH tour and my DH tour was way better than my JO tour (I was also a shitty JO). The reasons to stay in have always outweighed the reasons to get out by a long shot.

FinkUFreaky

pilot
May not be clear, but I didn't mean this to be funny. I have always been on the fence because I am a daydreamer about greener grass. But my XO/CO tour has been way better than my DH tour and my DH tour was way better than my JO tour (I was also a shitty JO). The reasons to stay in have always outweighed the reasons to get out by a long shot.
To be completely honest here, the laughing emoji from me at least is because I heard similar (NOT to discredit yours!) stories from my first XO on check-in, when I told them I don't know how long I plan on staying in. I think there are many in the CO/XO position that didn't see themselves being it when they joined. I was definitely clear that I never imagined myself commanding a squadron, I just planned on doing my twenty and maybe the required DH tour. And then the airlines were hiring anyone and everyone at an unprecedented rate, that changed the calculus for the family. Things have changed again and I imagine it will continue to change the calculus for a lot of people.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor

THAT made me laugh as I've told numerous DH's the same thing and have always been in search of that greener grass while enjoying the ride. ?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Absolutely. Sure, there are certainly negative experiences mixed in with the positives, but I stayed in the cockpit for the entire time, and that was pretty awesome. One thing to also consider is that your options open up tremendously if you're not laser focused on staying on the "golden" career path.

For me, years 10-12 have consisted of growing out my beard, learning a different language, living in a foreign country, getting a masters, and getting paid to travel, all on the Navy's dime. I'm writing this a week into a month-long road trip through Germany and Austria. The Navy certainly isn't perfect, and you'll definitely have bad days at the office, but there are some amazing opportunities out there if you look for them. Don't let the length of the commitment blind you to that.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I am a daydreamer about greener grass.
???

On serious note though, so much of life is about perspective and how it shapes your perceptions. I hear these young Air Force 1st LTs complaining about stuff and I am so thankful for my experiences in the Navy to give me perspective on how good we have it here. They have no idea. And the scary thought is that I could have been one of them -- we probably all could have. I'm just happy to be here.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
On serious note though, so much of life is about perspective and how it shapes your perceptions. I hear these young Air Force 1st LTs complaining about stuff and I am so thankful for my experiences in the Navy to give me perspective on how good we have it here. They have no idea.

I saw the same thing with a few VR A-dubs that would whine about things like what hotel we were staying in on the beach somewhere because it wasn't their chosen hotel for points...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I saw the same thing with a few VR A-dubs that would whine about things like what hotel we were staying in on the beach somewhere because it wasn't their chosen hotel for points...
The hotel doesn't have microwaves in every room. The front desk will bring one up but I have to ask them oh nooooooooo!!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

They're literally flight attendants.