• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

RAG time

DNCNAV

Just wondering how long the FRS usually takes for 60s, Cobras and 53s...and why not 46s. Thanks! While I'm here, I wouldn't mind hearing a little more about when the 60 squadrons are going to change HS to HSC, (so there will only be HSC and HSM squadrons?) and HS squadrons will be transitioning to Sierras...correct? The HH-60H is going away but we're keeping the Fox? (and the Bravo?) Thanks for your helP!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just wondering how long the FRS usually takes for 60s, Cobras and 53s...and why not 46s. Thanks! While I'm here, I wouldn't mind hearing a little more about when the 60 squadrons are going to change HS to HSC, (so there will only be HSC and HSM squadrons?) and HS squadrons will be transitioning to Sierras...correct? The HH-60H is going away but we're keeping the Fox? (and the Bravo?) Thanks for your helP!

Wouldn't 60's be exclusive of the others....

Pags

N/A
pilot
RAG length depends on which community you end up in. The HSC rag was taking about 6mo. HS and HSL RAGs are longer because they have a lot more sims and tactics stuff to do.

HS squadrons are going to start becoming HSCs sometime around 2008 i think. When the helo master plan is complete, there'll be 2 types of 60s: the R and S. No more B, F, or H.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot

So what service are you in exactly? You listed the Marine Helos but then also included the 60 which is the primary Navy helo...Just wondering if you might be thinking of an interservice change to get a better FRS length... :icon_tong

DNCNAV

what service?

Yeah, I figured someone would give me a hard time for that. I am Navy, but my roomate is Marine Corps. I am asking for him too. If I knew I was going helos though, yeah I would have transfered. It's hard not to want to fly Cobras. I still would like additional info on 60's from anyone. Obviously I want to fly the more exciting missions which I am assuming include CSAR and SEAL insertion, but those are usually for Carrier based helos, correct? Anyone care to compare carrier life to that of a small boy? I have done research and have searched the other threads here, but would still like more info.

hscs

pilot
More room on the carrier for living space, but there is also a lot more noisy (e.g. try sleeping under the landing area or a JBD). Also, better things like a gym.

By the way, a real CSAR is really a once and a lifetime opportunity with tons of alert time.

As for the SEAL stuff -- HSC and HS squadrons train with SEALs, but the HS squadrons are the only units with the gear to allow you to operate in theater with the SEALs.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Yeah, I figured someone would give me a hard time for that. I am Navy, but my roomate is Marine Corps. I am asking for him too. If I knew I was going helos though, yeah I would have transfered. It's hard not to want to fly Cobras. I still would like additional info on 60's from anyone. Obviously I want to fly the more exciting missions which I am assuming include CSAR and SEAL insertion, but those are usually for Carrier based helos, correct? Anyone care to compare carrier life to that of a small boy? I have done research and have searched the other threads here, but would still like more info.

Fleet Fly-in is this week, stop by and talk to the pilots from each community

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
RAG length depends on which community you end up in. The HSC rag was taking about 6mo. HS and HSL RAGs are longer because they have a lot more sims and tactics stuff to do.

HSL RAG is only 7 months. I thought the HSC RAG was only 3-4 months, being that y'all only go as far as the NATOPS check, in comparison to us in HSL.

I'm in the HSL RAG right now, and just started the ASW phase, lots of boring sh!t is all I can tell you about it. I just finished the anti surface phase in which we learned all about the Hellfire system and how to shoot them. Granted the only time you'll likely shoot a hellfire is the one time you get to do it for training/quals. Overall I'm still glad with my choice, can't tell you about life on a smallboat though.

Honestly, if you just want to fly, go HS or HSC; HSL has a lot more control/surveillance stuff than just flying like you'd get with HSC cause we've got a lot more sensors and systems on the aircraft.

I just did my deck landing quals on a DDG the other night, that was lots of fun and quite the challenge. Hovering over a small deck and trying to land while putting a probe in an approx 3'x4' cage/trap is very interesting. Being on a smallboy is one of the reasons I chose HSL though, I didn't want to be on a carrier with 5000 other people, personal preference.

Pags

N/A
pilot
HSL RAG is only 7 months. I thought the HSC RAG was only 3-4 months, being that y'all only go as far as the NATOPS check, in comparison to us in HSL.

I'm in the HSL RAG right now, and just started the ASW phase, lots of boring sh!t is all I can tell you about it. I just finished the anti surface phase in which we learned all about the Hellfire system and how to shoot them. Granted the only time you'll likely shoot a hellfire is the one time you get to do it for training/quals. Overall I'm still glad with my choice, can't tell you about life on a smallboat though.

Honestly, if you just want to fly, go HS or HSC; HSL has a lot more control/surveillance stuff than just flying like you'd get with HSC cause we've got a lot more sensors and systems on the aircraft.

I just did my deck landing quals on a DDG the other night, that was lots of fun and quite the challenge. Hovering over a small deck and trying to land while putting a probe in an approx 3'x4' cage/trap is very interesting. Being on a smallboy is one of the reasons I chose HSL though, I didn't want to be on a carrier with 5000 other people, personal preference.

I flew more fams than my HS/HSL brethern...I think that's cuz the HSC rags can only get 1.5 or so worth of taining out of a flight with block Is.

There's more to the HSC RAG than just a natops check. Initial DLQs, vertrep and Level I for NSW syllabus to name a few.

flyerstud4

So what service are you in exactly? You listed the Marine Helos but then also included the 60 which is the primary Navy helo...Just wondering if you might be thinking of an interservice change to get a better FRS length... :icon_tong

Actually there are a few marine 60s. I think they have something to do with the pres. I've seen them flying around:icon_smil

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Actually there are a few marine 60s. I think they have something to do with the pres. I've seen them flying around:icon_smil

Yes, there are less than a handful H-60s used by HMX-1 for the President...However HMX is hardly the "fleet"...

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I flew more fams than my HS/HSL brethern...I think that's cuz the HSC rags can only get 1.5 or so worth of taining out of a flight with block Is.

There's more to the HSC RAG than just a natops check. Initial DLQs, vertrep and Level I for NSW syllabus to name a few.

All of my FAM flights were at least 2 hours, with some 3+. We can carry a bit more gas. And thats why I said compared to HSL when I mentioned the HSC RAG length.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Where do the HMX 60 guys get qualed? Is it a Marine in house deal or do they go through a navy syllabus?

All of the HMX-1 pilots are qualed on all of the aircraft that HMX-1 operates, however I don't believe that they go through any of the RAGs other than the one they flew in the fleet...