• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

R2S App CAC Use

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Now come to orange and white-land. You have not one but two really shitty systems that will not only lock you out, but will also delete your profile if you don’t log in.

I foresee a lot of drills spent unfucking computer access. Oh well, if the navy wants to pay me to drink coffee and sit on hold, that’s their prerogative.
The sad part is these rules are self-imposed, usually by good idea fairies in IA/ISSO roles who think everything needs to be * secure * (fake serious voice) based on some computer guide for dummies written in the 2000s. Self-licking ice cream cone.

Nothing will break in the DoD, and it would take about 30 minutes to do, if each organization reset the auto-timeout duration from 30 days to 200 days.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...NROWS build, with no notice mind you, that REQUIRES the Sailor to update GTCC and passport info before the unit can push orders.
I think they did this on purpose to force people to update their GTCC and passport info before which was causing issues downstream. Reservists do very stupid things when it comes to travel and then they expect the NOSC and others to jump through hoops at the last minute.

Just before this past drill weekend we had someone who was attempting to fly on a 2 segment itinerary en route to a destination even though the individual knew there was not ticket for the second segment. Said individual arrives at the first stop and calls the NOSC from the airport on Friday at 1700 telling the NOSC that he is stuck at the airport with no follow on ticket for the second segment.

Last edited:

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Or they could just say logging in to webmail = your account clock gets reset. Nah, too sensible.
I have not logged in to an NMCI terminal in months but access my OWA daily. My account has never been locked out or deleted.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
It isn't just the Navy. Imagine being a reservist that drills at an gov agency that requires you to log-in once every 30 days to keep your access. Now imagine you drill twice a quarter, have AT & ADT to complete, resheds, etc. They couldn't figure out how/wouldn't give Reservists remote access so it was a nonstop revolving door of having access revoked and spending 2-3 DWEs getting it back, only to have it revoked 2 months later.

I was saying the agency we drilled at would lock us out of their computer systems. So I would end up doing GMTs on my laptop from my hotel room.

The R2S is a great, I can check everything while on the go.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I have not logged in to an NMCI terminal in months but access my OWA daily. My account has never been locked out or deleted.
But what happens after all that time when you do try to login to an NMCI terminal? I think there is a window where OWA works while NMCI terminals are locked out but the NMCI account hasn't been deleted yet.

Or maybe somebody high up finally fixed the glitch.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

I work for a Fortune 500 company, and if I regularly brought our systems down even to install an update, I'd be polishing up my resume. In the private sector, people work weekends and overnights when shit goes down in production.

Likewise. My behind would be out the door faster than you could say "India Pale Ale" if my development, engineering, provisioning, and maintenance work was on par with Navy IT infra.

• The GS and SES (PhD required... please...) pay scales suck, which makes it difficult to attract and to retain requisite talent
    • What you end up with are a pool of people who have a CISSP or related, and very little work experience. Why? Because, all you need for many security/IT govvie jobs is a certification. And, what do these people do? They stay forever and stagnate because they are unemployable in the private sector
    • You could literally be a goat herder with a clearance and get a govvie IT job if you have a CISSP
  • A multitude of ignorant, aging Navy civilians who are in the IT workforce who are not qualified

And as appealing as the public sector appears for the work hours and military-friendliness, things like this are why I don't go. Despite the ridiculous hours and deadline stress, working with very talented and motivated people is pretty nice.

not Navy related, but my old boss did this same thing. After a unfortunate series of events (maybe it was fortunate because he was a jerk) he no longer is employed with the company and I was asked to step-in to his spot. Guess what was the first thing I did, document the crap out of everything.

At my first group out of college, nothing was documented. Everything was oral tradition, this being at a major engineering multinational. It was a surreal experience, especially since the companies/groups I interned with were very high-functioning. If you wanted to learn some particular process or workflow, someone had to sit down with you and explain it. Fortunately, the group's superiors took the opportunity of a layoff and companywide reorganization to dismantle the group and put people in different places, and I moved on to bigger and better things.

And yet the other services and much of government, which has nearly all of the same constraints and limitations, has IT services that are far better than the Navy's, admittedly a very low bar. . My colleagues in the Army and Air Force have nowhere near the amount of complaints related to IT as those of us who have to suffer through NMCI do and from what little I have seen over their shoulder of what they deal with is a fraction of the stupid NMCI is. The simple fact that a retired Navy reservist's link page remains the resource for much of the Navy Reserve to access Navy IT is a pathetically sad commentary on just how fucked up Navy IT is.

I'm convinced that this issue persists because our leadership doesn't have to deal with the day to day dysfunction that is NMCI, one of those 'thousand little cuts' that is added to the 'go' pile when folks are deciding whether or not to stay in the service.

Every time I speak with acquaintances and friends or others I come across who joined the Army or Air Force Reserve/National Guard directly about their experiences, it's a world apart on the administrative and technical side, which is not what I would have expected. They're baffled at what I've had to do just to make the ball roll and keep it rolling, while they knew nothing coming in, and were essentially ushered in and most things were more or less handled for them.

But it is perfectly sensible that they would be very competent at managing non-active components. The Army National Guard for example has more personnel than the active duty Navy, and largely comprises people who joined directly (not sure about the Army Reserve). They don't have the luxury of a SELRES that largely came off of active duty, nor fill in the cracks with watered-down programs (for officers at least).

Last edited by a moderator:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And as appealing as the public sector appears for the work hours and military-friendliness, things like this are why I don't go. Despite the ridiculous hours and deadline stress, working with very talented and motivated people is pretty nice.
False dilemma. Ridiculous hours and deadline stress aren’t required in the private sector. They’re self-inflicted by crappy management. Sometimes crunch time happens, but that should be the exception, not the rule. There are companies out there that realize this.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

False dilemma. Ridiculous hours and deadline stress aren’t required in the private sector. They’re self-inflicted by crappy management. Sometimes crunch time happens, but that should be the exception, not the rule. There are companies out there that realize this.

Certainly agreed, it doesn't have to be that way even in the more fast-paced, cutthroat industries and jobs, but my point was more to bubble's about people who just stagnate and are unmotivated and unemployable in the private sector. Not my vibe, personally, but different strokes for different folks.

If a competent development and infra/devops group were to take charge and overhaul NMCI and all relevant systems and portals, I'm absolutely confident such an endeavor would resolve most user issues and pain points, not to mention introducing a tidy system and infrastructure on the backend.