• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions From Prospective Aviator

FlyingCowboy

Greetings, all. I've spent the last six months or so reading through the USCG forum here on AirWarriors and have gleaned a trove of information, but now I'm trying to apply my own specs to the challenge of becoming an aviator for the Guard. I was hoping one or several of you would please lend me your ears. I'm at a pivotal point in the decision-making process; your advice would be very much appreciated.

I am a 21 year old male. Gone through 3 years and 2 summers of college pursuing a Criminal Justice degree. I'm currently taking a year (or so) off from being student to work and get my affairs in order, and absolutely intend to return and finish my degree.

I contacted a recruiter, and got back an automated message telling me to fill out preliminary forms from gocoastguard.com. I checked and I meet the minimum requirements to apply, but the requirements for aviation applicants are much higher. I understand I need to have a bachelor degree, graduate with at least a 2.5, and score a 109 on the ASVAB, among other things. I have not yet submitted an application.

Therein lies my first issue- I took a year off because I had an embarrassingly bad semester which really swamped my GPA. I did the calculations and I can absolutely bring it back to a 2.5 before I graduate, but should I wait until I reach that number before applying? Frankly, I wouldn't take someone with my current record seriously, were I that recruiter. I could promise to work hard, but talk is cheap.

Second issue- I read on here that having prior aviation experience (ie being fixed-wing or rotary certified) will give me an advantage over other applicants, should I go to OCS. Would being fully certified (or even dual certified) counterbalance a rocky academic record? I'm saving money and investigating financing options to pay for certification, but I don't know how much difference it would make to the Guard. I understand they want good leaders first and good fliers second.

Third issue- suppose, for any given reason, I still don't meet the requirements to apply for aviation. Does the Direct Commission Program only accept applicants with prior military background? Or would the panel consider a candidate who flew for, say, a Search and Rescue group or some other paramilitary/civilian organisation? Those are paths I'm considering if the Guard doesn't work out.

I realize that I could easily start as an Enlisted man and eventually apply to OCS, but flying is my passion and a direct path would be preferred. I also realize that the Guard right now is under a tight budget and is not really accepting *any* applicants. Glad I've still got three or four years of work before applying.

Thank you for anything you can offer. I'll continue to scan the forums for answers.

Brunes

pilot
1) Not be be a negative nancy-but if you "can absolutely bring it back up to 2.5" then you may already be behind the curve. Getting into the CG is already tough...getting into CG aviation is even tougher. There just aren't a lot fo slots, but there are a lot of interested folks. I would make sure that you meet thew requirements before you submit you package (which means taking less than a year off or waiting at least a year and a half to apply....Your call).
2)Prior flight training MIGHT help you...but it might not. There are lots of opinions around about what prior flight experience will do for you...In many cases it'll get you comfortable with some of the rules and the feel of flying, but it can make it harder for you to integrate into the machine- You will have learned stuff that isn't the way the Navy/CG wants you to do things...and you'll have to unlearn them and get it the "right" way. It's also a significant expenditure to get certified and fly enuf to gain some real skill and show dedication.
3) DCO to aviation requires a US Military Flight Training program (See Here) CAP/Public sector SAR is not military flight school. The requirements also specifically state that you can not be on active duty when you join the CG...but what usually happens is a pilot from another service drops their resignation letter to that service and about the same time submits their package to the CG

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Hey Cowboy, though I wasn't looking to join the Coast Guard, I was looking at getting in to the Navy a couple years ago, as things began tightening up. My GPA was low, though not as low as yours. I found that the best prospect for bringing my GPA back up to respectable levels was to retake some of the classes I did poorly in.

This may place a financial burden on you, as these classes aren't always eligible for financial aid if you're retaking them, but in the end, if you want to earn your commission, you are the one who has to decide if the benefits outweigh the costs. In the end, I was able to bring my GPA over 3.0, and I earned my commission through Navy OCS. I had a low GPA, but I also had other mitigating circumstances such as two deployments that were over a year long that worked in my favor.

Regardless of the branch or program you're applying for, make the application as strong as you possibly can, that's all you can do.

sardaddy

pilot
You have been given some good information so far but I wanted to add on one tidbit. Don't waste your time trying to get flight training for the sole reason of becoming a CG pilot. If you want to do it for yourself fine but realize it will be a waste of money if you are trying to sway a selection board.

Flight training will not augment poor college grades and civilian flight training at best is a nod that you do extra curricular activities. The only way it helps you get flight school is that you will most likely do well on the flight aptitude test while in OCS. But you have to get to OCS first and flight school isn't going to help there. Sorry. I realize it isn't jiggling the stick but we have a lot of air crew member positions available. Many of them have Bachelor's degrees and some have Master's degrees so don't feel you would be wasting your degree if you did that.

Despite my comments, I am not saying don't try to get to military flight training but realize the challenges you are facing. Especially in this very competitive time for selection.

FlyingCowboy

Thank you all for talkin with me about this. My circumstances are embarrassing given my new goals involving the Guard (and actually atypical of me). I appreciate the honest input without judgement.

Brunes, I definitely am behind the curve, which is why I want to plan my next moves carefully. This is apparently a very hard time to get in, and I've only just aged in, so I've no qualms about waiting a few years before applying. Gives me plenty of time to improve the 'package' before I apply.

eas7888, retaking courses is the first things I'm going to do. Overwrite the poor performances. Its all a numbers game, and I've gone over the calculations many times (if for no other reason than relieve stress about it).

sardaddy, I've pondered being a flight crew member, and I don't know much about what the job entails but it is not an unattractive prospect. Besides, I assume that there is the possibility of applying for flight school during a tour as a crew member? On that note, is there a practice flight aptitude test somewhere I can use? There are practice ASVABs online. There is no way for me, being so inexperienced, to quantify the challenges I'm facing, but I never thought it would be easy or simple. The only thing I've got going for me at this moment is the attitude and belief that flying is my destiny (not to sound too hokey).

Everything said about flight certification makes sense- especially about having to unlearn things. I'd do it for myself otherwise, but it really is a big investment, and if the Guard will teach me to fly anyways (given my admittance to flight school) then I won't want to waste my time if its not for sure an advantage. Just out of curiosity, are there military flight schools available for civilians? It doesn't make sense that there would be, but stranger things have happened.
Would working for some organization with the same MO as the Guard (ie SAR) be an advantage on an application? Or would it, like certification, just show extracurricular activity?
I've taken the ASVAB once for the Marine Corps, but I was 17 and I'd sure as hell do better on it now. Will the Guard let me retake it?
Also, one thing I forgot to mention- I am an Eagle Scout. All things being equal, how much of an impact would this make on the panel? I know in other branches they automatically promote you, so surely it must have some positive effect.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Eagle Scout would be a plus for me, but no one who knows what they're talking about will tell you how much of an impact that will have on any particular board. You just have to get your ducks in a row, put your best foot forward and apply.

And one nit to pick: "the Guard" typically refers to the Army or Air National Guard. If you're interested in the Coast Guard, you'll avoid confusing those you are conversing with by using "Coast Guard" or "Coasties," or abreviating "CG" when writing.