• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions after DCO Select

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
You'll wait for the commissioning documents (COMDOCS) to be generated at the NAVRESFOR level, which can take about 35-45 days. During this time, your OR may ask you to re-sign some docs, and sign some new ones as well.

Over the past couple years, I've seen NAVRESFOR drop JO's into units that don't match their designator, or even their community. We got a nurse one time. If you know what type of unit you should be in, it might be a good idea to help your OR help CNRC out, but giving them a list that makes sense.

Once you swear in, identify your closest NOSC and get the drill schedule. Proactively contact them and get confirmed for indoc. You don't exist until you are gained by NOSC Manpower dept. Don't expect the NOSC to know everything that you have to do. They only know the (minimum) things that they are required to do to get you in the door. As a commissioned officer, you need to really take care of yourself the first 90 days. That's long enough to find a mentor (ship/shore daddy) to help you sort things out.

Never give up your original, and make five hard copies + digital of everything.

Any time you contact a NOSC dept, get in the habit of CC'ing the NOSC XO. It teaches folks how to not lose emails.

All this!

I made the mistake of giving my old NOSC all the originals of my full civilian medical record. Thankfully my brain started working before I left the NOSC and I was able to get them back from Medical, made copies, and gave them the copies.

Always get copies of anything you do in Medical too. Recently had an issue where I got a shot in JAN, then popped as delinquent in FEB because someone didn't update my records.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Recently had an issue where I got a shot in JAN, then popped as delinquent in FEB because someone didn't update my records.
This happens on a monthly occurrence. Advise you continue making copies. When you do provide to NOSC Medical, ensure you provide them with a paper copy, then follow up with an email to the medical distro list and attached a scanned copy.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
This happens on a monthly occurrence. Advise you continue making copies. When you do provide to NOSC Medical, ensure you provide them with a paper copy, then follow up with an email to the medical distro list and attached a scanned copy.
+1

I take a photo of the flu shot chit as I'm being handed the chit. No HM has ever taken offense. They know that I'm not thinking they specifically will misplace it, but at some point, the data leaves their hands too, and goes elsewhere in Big Navy/ Big e-Navy.

number9

Contributor
Someone with more experience can chime in, but you won't start getting paid until after you start drilling. You won't start drilling until you have been commissioned which may be after the new fiscal year starts, Oct. 1, 2019. Then after that, your OR should assist in finding a local unit and NOSC. Depending on your designator there is a regional DCO Officer who will reach out and touch base with you and put you in touch with someone from that unit. Your first drill may be at NOSC INDOC or maybe with your unit.
Does anyone have gouge onto roughly how long it takes to start drilling after being commissioned? While I'm certainly eager to get started, I'm asking this primarily as I was selected two days ago as an 1835.. and my wife and I are having our first kid in early January. :eek:

TheClyde

Does anyone have gouge onto roughly how long it takes to start drilling after being commissioned? While I'm certainly eager to get started, I'm asking this primarily as I was selected two days ago as an 1835.. and my wife and I are having our first kid in early January. :eek:
Highly unlikely you are commissioned before that. I believe about 1-2 months to start drilling after.

NuocH2O

Found out I was selected in March, commissioned in June, and started drilling in August. It’s quite the process to get yourself set up to even begin drilling, but work with your OR and NOSC, and be diligent in following up and asking questions.

fieldrat

Fully Qualified 1815
+1

I take a photo of the flu shot chit as I'm being handed the chit. No HM has ever taken offense. They know that I'm not thinking they specifically will misplace it, but at some point, the data leaves their hands too, and goes elsewhere in Big Navy/ Big e-Navy.
Common practice in my locale is to do this, plus scan/email the medical alias, and cc both our XO, and the NRC (NOSC) XO. This way, when medical eventually loses it, you already has a paper trail.

LawDawg740

Commissioned in July... didn't get gained by my NOSC until mid-September, barely was able to make it to drill in the end of September.

I doubt you'll have COMDOCS in hand before January, and I can almost guarantee that you will not be drilling before/in January.

Hangout, read some stuff on GPC, workout -- it'll come.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Folks, I highly advise you to exercise your "powers" as Officers and call or email people. Do not wait around for a response.

If you email someone, wait 24 hours and call to follow up because it's highly likely the person you are emailing a) has an inbox with 600 unread emails in it or b) does not read their email.

number9

Contributor
Putting this here deliberately as I'm looking for post-commissioning, pre-ODS info: can anyone offer up a brief explanation of proper email etiquette when dealing with Navy matters?

I want to make sure I'm addressing ranks correctly (e.g. is it Lieutenant Commander or is LCDR okay), that I know how to refer to superiors and subordinates, whether or not I can refer to my own rank in a signature, etc.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Putting this here deliberately as I'm looking for post-commissioning, pre-ODS info: can anyone offer up a brief explanation of proper email etiquette when dealing with Navy matters?

I want to make sure I'm addressing ranks correctly (e.g. is it Lieutenant Commander or is LCDR okay), that I know how to refer to superiors and subordinates, whether or not I can refer to my own rank in a signature, etc.

Are you a DCO select? Have you been assigned a unit yet? Have you been assigned a sponsor?

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply

FormerGuru has it correct. As a DCO, you should have been assigned a sponsor to help you navigate the first few months-year. What’s your designator? If it’s Supply, DM me and I will get you in touch with the regional lead and then a sponsor.

number9

Contributor
FormerGuru has it correct. As a DCO, you should have been assigned a sponsor to help you navigate the first few months-year. What’s your designator? If it’s Supply, DM me and I will get you in touch with the regional lead and then a sponsor.
1835. I've reached out to my triad (including the senior enlisted) but haven't been assigned a mentor yet.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Yes, yes, and no. I reached out to introduce myself to the new unit already (from my civilian email address as I don't have a Navy one yet)

I would be persistent and follow up. If you’re sending emails to their navy accounts, it’s possible they don’t check it as often. I mean… it is the reserve.

Another option, have your recruiter ping the unit or the local Navy Reserve Center to get you a contact to help set you up for your first drill weekend.

You have a ton of questions… that’s normal, however this is also the perfect opportunity to bring these up with your assigned sponsor.