• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about AKs

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
Unfortunately that’s the going rate for an AK of decent quality.

Sub-$600 is going to be limited to WASR-10s. Most common issues I’ve seen with those are bent barrels and crooked front sight posts. Some of this can be remedied by a gunsmith, but the cost will bring you closer to the price of an Arsenal. I could never get my WASR sighted in consistently past 150 yds (bent barrel), which was why I sold it.

Then again, you might get lucky and find a decent WASR out of the box, but I have yet to find one.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I was considering this option. Is there slightly reduced accuracy (or other dropoff in capability) from a home built one vs. buying manufactured?

The answer is a complicated one, but basically, nowadays with manufacturing and the state of the market, you can get a very capable AR built for not much money. However...

What you can't always guarantee is that the parts are in spec (with each other, I'm not talking MILSPEC) or that parts were manufactured correctly. Companies like Aero Precision will generally give you an overall quality product for not much money. Places like Palmetto State Armory, which used to be decent, started cutting some corners in some places and aren't always the best way to go in the long run.

IwannabeaPHROGdvr69

pilot
Currently looking at a palmetto state armory AR kit for $270, seems too good to be true, everything but the lower is included, thoughts?

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
US manufactures have not mastered old school stamping the way the Soviets did ...

From the machinery tools standpoint, milling is cheaper and materially more efficient. That is why I think US manufacturers were sticking with milling/grinding. Reminds me the old problems with the first jet engines: the aerospace business in USA, paying main attention (and devoting main sources) to airlines' necessities, was quite satisfied by the relaibility and consumption rate of the big pistons, so the first American jet engines were a derivatives from either a Brit models or a turbochargers used by railroad industry. Generally it is right - when the money both lead and judge the development of any kind. But in military it is not always the right approach...

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Good to see you in this thread, Max!

Yeah, the closest one would get to “legally” owning a Russian AK in the US would be to purchase a Saiga or VEPR (heavier milled version) and then convert it.

Concur. Readjusting the flip selector "single/automat/block" to Vepr ("The Boar"), instead of custom two-click (single/block) one, I'm sure would be simpler on this weapon than on Saiga since the Vepr rifle is essentially a light machine gun version with the base of 7.62 from the scratch