• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Questions about AKs

Birdbrain

pilot
Is anyone here a good authority on AKs? I'm looking to buy and the quality control of some manufacturers seems to have a high drift factor.

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
PM me if you have specific questions.

The AK market has gone significantly downhill with the popularity of the AR platform, but there are still a couple of decent builders. However, sources of quality aftermarket products (i.e. rails, stocks, barrels, etc.) will pale in comparison to those available for the AR. Same goes for ammo.

I’m assuming you’re looking for 7.62x39? This is the most popular and easy to find. 5.45x39 is another great choice, but that brand of ammo is becoming more scarce.

I used to own a Romanian AK (WASR-10), but sold it many years ago. Ended up buying a Sig-556R (7.62x39, and takes AK mags). A much higher quality platform, basically a “Swiss AK.” Very happy with it.

However, if you are looking for a traditional AK, I would look at the designs sold by Arsenal. Very good quality for the money.

If you’re going all in and want a custom build, check out Rifle Dynamics (Jim Fuller’s company out in Vegas). Be aware, the wait time is very long. Also, Krebs Customs does some cool AK after-market work.

Stay away from anything by Century Arms. Very poor quality control, with the nickname “Drunken monkies” by people in the industry.

For quality aftermarket products, I’d recommend anything by Midwest Industries. They do great rails for optics mounting. Avoid anything by Tapco. Cheap, and will end up in the garbage can at some point.

An AK’s accuracy will surprise you if good ammo is used. Try to avoid that cheap shit (i.e. Wolf, Tulammo, etc.), unless you just want to do plinking at the gravel pit. Some of these powders are highly corrosive, so make sure to clean the barrel thoroughly after each use.

Best of luck.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
This is the most popular and easy to find. 5.45x39 is another great choice, but that brand of ammo is becoming more scarce.

I'm not sure why this seems to be what everyone thinks. It's not that the type of ammo is going away, just the Russian 7n6 that dried up (and Golden Tiger can be hit and miss on availability).

I'm not much of an AK guy, but I have a 5.45 AR, and since the 7n6 ban, should I have needed to buy 5.45 ammo, there's always been options to procure some type of decent 5.45 (if I hadn't already grabbed a couple of cases before the ban).

wiseguy04

The Dude abides....
pilot
I'm not sure why this seems to be what everyone thinks. It's not that the type of ammo is going away, just the Russian 7n6 that dried up (and Golden Tiger can be hit and miss on availability).

I'm not much of an AK guy, but I have a 5.45 AR, and since the 7n6 ban, should I have needed to buy 5.45 ammo, there's always been options to procure some type of decent 5.45 (if I hadn't already grabbed a couple of cases before the ban).

I can usually always find it online and from at least one table at a gun show. It’s only at the brick and mortar gun stores where you get the shoulder shrug from the guy behind the counter.

And yeah, I buy most of my stuff online anyway. Way cheaper and much better selection.

Side note: One of the most accurate “conventional” AKs I’ve ever fired (not counting my Sig-556R) was a friend’s Sako 95. Comparable groups to an AR at 300 yds. Yep, the Finns know how to make an AK. :cool:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Why hasn't @Max the Mad Russian joined this thread?

61tularight.jpg

colonial-aviation

Intermediate Jet
I'm lucky enough to be the owner of an Arsenal SGL-21, so the genuine article from the Ivhesk plant. Sadly, those are gone but if you can find unconverted Saigas they're great.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
It could seem unbelievable, but I have never touched original AK-47. All we had in a Naval College as a midns' personal rifle was AK-74 of 5.45 mm, a far cry from the old good beast of 7.62. On a ships I've served there were AKMS: https://popgun.ru/files/g/85/orig/1047302.jpg the same 5.45 peashooters.
Generally, I doubt one in USA can buy an original Russian (i.e. Soviet) 47. It would be either a thing of Chinese or Yugoslavian origin. Old good used but still stiff 47 here of Tula Ordnance Plant of 1958 quite could cost $ 5K on a black market, since there's no white one in Russia:eek: Imagine how much it would be in USA after all the smugglers' nets income...

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Stamped AK's are the best overall... but efficient stamping and reliable riveting takes upfront investment to do well - and then mass production at low cost is easy. US manufactures have not mastered old school stamping the way the Soviets did ...

IwannabeaPHROGdvr69

pilot
Quick look of the suggested AKs seem to be closer to a grand... any suggested AKs that would be closer to $600 or so? Looking for something to shoot some javelinas my last few months in South Texas