• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question Regarding Rough Application OCC

Law_to_1830

Hello, I am an attorney that is highly interested in pursuing a commission through the OCC Law program. I have already contacted a local OSO and I'm well on my way with my application.

I have a question, though. In the Rough Application, there's a question that asks:

"Have you ever been rejected for enlistment or induction into any
branch of the Armed Forces? If yes, provide the date, branch
and reason for rejection."

My two questions:
  1. Is there a difference between being "rejected" and simply not being selected?
  2. If merely not being selected for OCS counts for this question, then what do I write for the reason?
The Marine Corps was always my #1 choice, but for a while I did not think I could get in due to some medical issues (which I now know are easily waivable, but I didn't know that back then). So I applied for a Navy position a while back. I didn't get in, but they don't give you a reason. They just say "non-select." I was deemed medically fit, I greatly exceeded their academic and PT qualifications, and I've never had any issues with the law obviously. So it was certainly not a rejection for cause. The wording seems to imply "rejection for cause" since it asks for the reason.

My recruiter was shocked that I didn't get in, as I was objectively well above average compared to those selected. He figures it was just the luck of the draw (that Navy program only hires maybe 5% of applicants). Of course, I would far rather get into the Marine Corps if I can, so it could work out even better this way.