• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question regarding contact lens and waivers

Dangle

I have 1 and a half the balls of a regular man
I am sorry if there was a previous thread on this topic, I tried to search but was not quite satisfied with what I had read and I am in a bit of a panic mode.

I will be getting LASIK this weekend, and I have been working with my recruiter on making sure I cover all my bases before having the procedure, but I came across something in the medical manual that quoted as

"SNA applicants whose uncorrected distant visual acuity does not exceed 20/400 may be eligible for a waiver authorizing use of contact lenses correction. SNA applicants whose uncorrected visual acuity exceeds 20/400 will not be waived for contact lenses use."

The passage in question is on page 15-61, or page 75 on the pdf.

So the way I read it, and my initial thinking is, I may not actually need LASIK to apply for pilot? Does this mean, I could possibly just try to get a waiver for contact lens usage, and skip the 6 month wait? My prescription is -4.25 in each eye, which I know does not translate directly into being above or below 20/400, but I don't want to walk out of the surgery thinking that I could have skipped the process altogether and just applied directly. I am comfortable getting the procedure if it is necessary, but I have been stressing out about having to wait, and the possibility of complications. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Chapter 15, Medical Examinations.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 14

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I am sorry if there was a previous thread on this topic, I tried to search but was not quite satisfied with what I had read and I am in a bit of a panic mode.

I will be getting LASIK this weekend, and I have been working with my recruiter on making sure I cover all my bases before having the procedure, but I came across something in the medical manual that quoted as

"SNA applicants whose uncorrected distant visual acuity does not exceed 20/400 may be eligible for a waiver authorizing use of contact lenses correction. SNA applicants whose uncorrected visual acuity exceeds 20/400 will not be waived for contact lenses use."

So the way I read it, and my initial thinking is, I may not actually need LASIK to apply for pilot? Does this mean, I could possibly just try to get a waiver for contact lens usage, and skip the 6 month wait? My prescription is -4.25 in each eye, which I know does not translate directly into being above or below 20/400, but I don't want to walk out of the surgery thinking that I could have skipped the process altogether and just applied directly. I am comfortable getting the procedure if it is necessary, but I have been stressing out about having to wait, and the possibility of complications. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Why didn't you get a MEPS physical before you get LASIK? You could possibly save 4K and if you need to get surgery down the road in your aviation career the Navy will pay for it. Least N3M will say is NO and from there you can go ahead and get the surgery done. My two cents.

koliver

I saw that same thing. I talked to my recruiter and other people on this forum and elsewhere and it seems that if you are applying for SNA you will not pass N3M with worse than 20/40. I am 20/70 and am getting LASIK done in the next month, because you have two choices: go to MEPS and see if you'll be cleared (and if not, then get LASIK and wait the 6 months to then go to MEPS again) or get LASIK now and have no problems going through MEPS in 6 months. I chose the second option because in the long run I want LASIK and it will be nice to not mess with contacts or glasses at OCS and flight school.