• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question for all you BDCPites

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodgerdogtx

What was your time in the 1.5 mile run? I can't seem to get south of the 11:50's, and the embarrassing part is I'm a fairly small (5'10" 160 lbs).

Anyone have any advice?

"Ambition without contribution is meaningless"

Dunedan

Picture Clean!
None
Run...a LOT

I'm 5'8", 175lbs... my first run had me in the 11:50 neighborhood. I've since started jogging 3-5 miles every other day (not as hard as it sounds if you take it easy at first and go slow), and doing sprints on the days in between (find a track, sprint the straightaways at TOP SPEED and jog/walk the curves - for about 2 miles).

6 months later I came in at 9:52.

In short, the best way to improve your running performance is to run...
-A

Ummm...yeah

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I AGREE!!! When I did my first PRT, whheewwww! I believe it was around 11:30. About 6 months later.... 10:30 And another 6 months 9:30. I am now stuck at about 9:15. I am 5'10" 175 lbs (used to be 195 lbs). Running is my worst enemy. I HATE TO RUN! and I always have. But, you have to have a strong mentality to fight it off. I now run atleast 4 times a week, and like Dunedan said, running a lot is the key. Practice makes perfect. Like Dunedan said, sprinting will help you increase your speed in your run, therefore cutting your run time. PRACTICE.

D

NavyLonghorn

I dont think they really care all that much about your PRT for BDCP honestly... just 11:50 should be just fine for that. OCS may be a different story.. but I wouldnt swet it.

jaerose

Yeah, you don't have to have a great time to get into the program (>/=12:00), but you definitely want to improve on it while your in and try to peak at OCS.

JR

thumper

I had the same problem. I was running every day (6-10 miles) but still did poorly on the run. I had outstandings on PU's and SU's, but got a 1224 at my last PRTs about a month ago. I tried the intervals method like Dunedan described. I jogged a quarter mile, then sprinted as long as I could, then jogged a little bit then sprinted, etc....I have only used this technique twice, but I have shaved over two minutes off my time. I had the physical ability, but wasn't able to pace myself properly (I am not a runner). I figure with six weeks to go till OCS, I should be able to get in the mid 9's and figure out what my correct pace is.

Run everyday, it can only make you stronger. I do 2-3 when I wake up, then 3 in six more, usually split between the afternoon and evening. I also do a 5 miler on occasion.

Do the sprint intervals. It works.

-Zach

shoots den

JKD

Another method is to increase the distance your are running, even if it is at a slower pace. Putting a 3 - 6 mile run in your routine will also help.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The PRT scores do matter on the application whether a straight program or BDCP! It is a competition. There are only so many slots. If your app gets up there when the Captain of every Big 10 Track and Field team applies, you may not make it. OK, so that is an exageration. They do look at the "whole man". So consider your app. Are you not weak in any area? Need better letters of rec., maybe your grades weren't so good that first year of college. A great PRT score will make the difference. You recruiter knows the competetive profile for recent selects and that includes PRT scores. Ask him what is flying and don't start your Navy career slacking off.

dodgerdogtx

Thanks for the info all! I have since added some longer distance runs to my routine, and I hope it makes a difference!

"Ambition without contribution is meaningless"

cyphertube

I don't know how it is for others, but for me, passing the PRT at this point it the difficult problem, that is passing within the time frame that I've got sitting in front of me. I have basically two months, if that, to go from my previous sedentary lifestyle to being able to run.

While sit-ups and push-ups aren't too bad, because I'm regaining muscle that's gone lax in the past two years, running is something I've never really enjoyed, so it's a real pain to get moving.

I was wondering how much they weigh your score in PRT. I'm looking at Intel, and I have good letters of recommendation, good grades (above 3.7 right now), and I've got a lot of experience working overseas, speaking multiple languages, and working in management.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
cyphertube,
Well you have to pass the PRT that is for sure. As to how well you have to do to compete for intel I refer to my comment about the "whole person" approach. From what you state here you should be very competetive as long as your degree is in a semi related field, you aren't too old, score well on ASTB, etc, etc...

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Just tell the DI's that you would rather not run. They won't mind. Normally they will just ask you to go back to your rack and take a nap until everyone else is done running.

Dave

NavyLonghorn

I went from not running, to running a 8:40 pace for 26.2 miles (yes a marathon), in less than four months. Dont fret.. just run hard. The forums at www.runnersworld.com are a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.