• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about lateral from SWO to SEAL and age limits.

MobyThicc

I am working on an OCS packet with the intent of choosing SEAL. However, my top picks are SEAL, SWO, and EOD. My issue is that SWO would line up perfectly for me to leave once I graduate university (spring 2019) but the SEAL boards aren't until October 19. That would leave me having to find a job that will pay all my bills and student loans, and would be okay with me possibly leaving a few months after hire (unlikely, and I don't blame them). If I were to join as SWO and complete that obligation, would I be able to lateral to SEAL after my first service term? I am currently 26, meaning I would be 30-31 upon completing an initial 4 year contract. My question is, would I be too old at that point? Are there any options I should know of?

Stats (in case anyone asks);
GPA - 3.2
Age - 26
Experience - Prior army supply NCO, bodybuilder, firefighter, personal trainer.
PST Scores - Swim ~10min, Pushups - 117, Sit ups - 103, pullups - 23, run ~10min.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
Have you talked to any SEAL Officers yet to get their take on the community, or enlisted dudes as well? Have you been to mini BUD/S and given an overview on what a SEAL Officer does? I would strongly consider enlisting. Usually you're eligible for a lateral after you finish your warfare qualification. I'm pretty sure theres an AW equivalent for the SpecWar community, might want to search around there.

MobyThicc

Have you talked to any SEAL Officers yet to get their take on the community, or enlisted dudes as well? Have you been to mini BUD/S and given an overview on what a SEAL Officer does? I would strongly consider enlisting. Usually you're eligible for a lateral after you finish your warfare qualification. I'm pretty sure theres an AW equivalent for the SpecWar community, might want to search around there.

Thank you for the reply. I haven't done any of that. Although i've expressed that I really only want SEAL, my recruiter hasn't really brought up any sort of programs or chances to speak with SEAL's. Im researching that on my own, but so far it seems my best bet is with online communities. So far, Reddit.

exNavyOffRec

No offense to enlisted members, but I did my time as enlisted and would rather not go down that road again.

becoming a SEAL officer is very competitive, and having put a few in I can tell you that your swim and run aren't close, and with those scores did you do the swim, wait 10 min, then do situps in 2 min, then do pushups in 2 min, then 10 min wait, then pull ups in 2 min, 10 min wait, then do the run?

It is not uncommon for many SEAL officers to come from the enlisted ranks, and as far as EOD goes for a few years they only picked those that were EOD enlisted.

mike112

"Welcome to Earf" - Capt. USMC (Ret) Steven Hiller
Sealswcc.com has a forum for this.

Were those scores on your own or during a proctored pst?

Pretty standard question during the board is ‘would you go enlisted if you didn’t get picked up as an O’. So you might want to reconsider your stance.

MobyThicc

becoming a SEAL officer is very competitive, and having put a few in I can tell you that your swim and run aren't close, and with those scores did you do the swim, wait 10 min, then do situps in 2 min, then do pushups in 2 min, then 10 min wait, then pull ups in 2 min, 10 min wait, then do the run?

It is not uncommon for many SEAL officers to come from the enlisted ranks, and as far as EOD goes for a few years they only picked those that were EOD enlisted.

I did all the events for "cardio" after a heavy leg workout at the gym. I also did not wait 10 minutes in between each.