• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about flying Navy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
I'm just a high school student considering joining the Navy in a few years once I'm a Junior in college, and would just like to know how (if at all) having an instrument, multiengine, and CFII rating would help in getting a position to fly Hornets. I've had people say it does, and doesn't make too much of a difference, but those of you who have been there, I'd just like some advice. lol :) I'm about 3/4 of the way just to getting my private ticket before I enter college right now and just LOVE flying. (So, I wouldn't be taking it in college only for the Navy... if that didnt' work out somehow I've got other ways I can go.)

But enough with that... thanks for any advice or whatever. :)
God bless,
Jason

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
Well, like I said earlier, I'm still going to shoot for those ratings regardless of whether or not I decide to go military because I've decided a long time ago my career was going to be flying... I'm trying to work it out now so I have as MANY options open to me as possible... right now I'm looking at about 6. I was also wondering if the Navy recruiter I spoke with knew what he was talking about. LOL!! He was. :)

But... wouldn't having a good understanding of the principals and ideas at least help out personally? lol I know it'd be totally different aircraft and all. :)

Thanks again so much for your replies!
God bless

ghost_ttu

This is the closest topic that I could find to address my question and I don't want to start a new discussion Ok, I know that you will see a Col. in the AF flying a operational mission. Granted he is most likely a wing commander. My question is this, in the Navy (and I have read general answers about this) but will they generally push you out of the cockpit, and at what rank does this start happening?

Gabe2surf

Thats a misconception about the air force. Here's how it really goes. I have heard my current group commander and wing commander (and this goes for most of them) say they are lucky if they fly twice a month. Air Force O-6 and O-7's (Group and Wing level)fly just enough to keep their currencies. You will rarely see them fly in combat. Usually the squadron commanders (O-5's) are the same way. They will lead the formations to and from deployed locations for the most part, though not always. Yes, they will lead a formation into battle , but they will probably not take the more difficult missions because although they are expirienced, they are not as proficient as their Captains and Majors. They will tell you that themselves. Believe me, even in the Air Force, you will fly less as you progress in rank. Now in the Navy I really don't know how it works, but I would assume its pretty close to the same.

Spaceman Spiff

How 'bout this...can you refuse promotion? You want to be a professional combat pilot as long as possible...can you say "No I want to stay where I am, thanks anyways?"

Kris

Status
Not open for further replies.