• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Question about athletics...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss_BlueAngels

Instrument training
I'm just wondering how much weight being involved in sports has for, ultimately, pilot selection. I've never really been into sports, not because I couldn't, but just never wanted to. Just had other things I liked better. Is the whole sports thing just for the experience of working with a team, and in good physical condition? I've never had any problems with the latter part, and as for the whole "teamwork" thing that wouldn't be a problem either. I don't know how relavent this is, but I'm in a flying club at my university and we go to regional and national competitions every year which definately helps with the CRM skills.

Anyway, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
icon_smile.gif

jaerose

I would think they help in the well-rounded area. They want people who aren't just 'jocks' and aren't just 'bookworms.' They want comlete applicants and athletics shows that you take care of yourself physically and also that you have intrapersonal skills. Also, as I'm sure you know, high performance flight is very physically demanding and being involved in athletics would suggest that you would be capable of handling that kind of stress. Those, of course, are only my opinions.

JR

fraz76

What the Navy is really looking for is an individual that performs physical activities and hopefully be able to handle the demanding duties of flying. The applicant doesn’t have to be on a varsity sports team but rather he or she exercise regular ex running, weight training, playing intramural sports. They want to see that you are active and in shape, living a healthy life style. This is where your PT scores come in to show proof. Best of luck on your application.
Respectfully,
Fraz76

orthaj

I am not entirely sure about this but I think if you held some kind of leadership position on an athletic team that will be a quantitative (time in position) and qualitative (type of position held) factor in your application. Athletics also provides an individual with intangibles such as team work, listening skills, being in good all around physical shape and being able to make decisions while under mental and physical stress. In my opinion it helps helps with your all around personal development which is what all of the branches of the military are looking for in junior officers regardless of whether the want to be pilots, infantry, intell, supply...etc...etc. I hope that helps.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's very important because we know that there's not enough time for working out and sports once you're already in! You need to balance out your total life before and after the military I guess.

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
i have a question. i'm trying to get back into nrotc (or any officer programs) right now; the problem is that my major is kinda difficult for me, so i give it full-undivided attention to the schoolwork. what if i'm not in any teams/clubs, but was physically fit? would they care about the other stuff? i'm sure the reason why they wanna see clubs and sports in the application is to see that one can keep busy and still maintain good grades, but to me, CHEM/BIOCHEM major is SOO hard!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.