• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lake Tahoe is a fantastic place to paddle! Do you go close to Sand Harbor or further south?
Sand Harbor on the East side is a good place to put in. More recently, I put in at the beach at DL Bliss state park on the West side and paddle down to Emerald Bay, take a spin around the little island, then back again. The water is unbelievably clear and the large hulking granite monoliths that form much of the shoreline are a sight to behold.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Paddling is such a great way to be on the water. After years of renting, I bought a Easy Rider Eskimo 15 sea kayak during my last tour in Whidbey. I even have an outrigger/sail setup that I've used on the lakes here in NV. Definitely recommend! Hopefully @Spekkio doesn't jump my shit for being a bad officer, but the paddling in Lake Tahoe is phenomenal right now.
I've been wanting one for years but had to wait for the kids to get big enough. It's also a great way to get outside in SOMD, there's not much around here in the way of hiking and I'm not part of the road bike cult.

Lots of great creeks and inlets to explore and fish in. Seen lots of eagles, ospreys, herons, and all sorts of other wildlife.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Sand Harbor on the East side is a good place to put in. More recently, I put in at the beach at DL Bliss state park on the West side and paddle down to Emerald Bay, take a spin around the little island, then back again. The water is unbelievably clear and the large hulking granite monoliths that form much of the shoreline are a sight to behold.
What’s the average daytime water temp?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The goal is to remain upright in the boat.
My dad built a stitched wooden kayak probably 25 years ago now (!). Dunno if it was the company @taxi1 mentioned.

At any rate, I've had it out a few times when I visited, but I'll be damned if I could ever figure out how to eskimo roll. Always ended up stuck at 180 degrees AOB with freshly-cleaned sinuses . . .

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Paddling is such a great way to be on the water. After years of renting, I bought a Easy Rider Eskimo 15 sea kayak during my last tour in Whidbey. I even have an outrigger/sail setup that I've used on the lakes here in NV. Definitely recommend! Hopefully @Spekkio doesn't jump my shit for being a bad officer, but the paddling in Lake Tahoe is phenomenal right now.

In all seriousness, Lake Tahoe is awesome. To those who asked: swimming on the left coast generally requires a wet suit. That includes Lake Tahoe.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
We have a 20+yr old canoe under the deck. Seems to be in good shape but hasn't been in the water forever. Let me know if you're interested. Might come with some bonus spiders too.
Don’t do it battle buddy! There is required mulch spreading somewhere in the fine print.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Don’t do it battle buddy! There is required mulch spreading somewhere in the fine print.
Done with mulch. Guests of Pagsistan can now look forward to a summer of Japanese beetle killing, crab grass pulling, and maybe laying some brick.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
My dad built a stitched wooden kayak probably 25 years ago now (!). Dunno if it was the company @taxi1 mentioned.

At any rate, I've had it out a few times when I visited, but I'll be damned if I could ever figure out how to eskimo roll. Always ended up stuck at 180 degrees AOB with freshly-cleaned sinuses . . .
I learned how to eskimo roll when I was 11 or so. Haven’t tried in decades. You need a watertight seal in the skirt. It may be possible in a wooden kayak but I did it in the plastic/fiberglass kind.