• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Quarantine Activities

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
One thing you may want in addition to the will is a checklist of all bills for the executor of the estate.

A close friend of mine’s dad had quadruple bypass surgery 30 years ago - and continued to smoke. The will was set up for his wife to inherit everything- and she handled all of the bills and finances as well. All of a sudden, she got cancer and passed quickly - and the executor had to figure out the mess. A simple list of monthly bills, where and how they are paid, will make the process substantially easier.
Another thing to think about is username and passwords for all online accounts. May want to keep a physical copy of this information in a secure location (safe/safety deposit box). Wife asks for this every time I leave for drill or ATs.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
May want to keep a physical copy of this information in a secure location (safe/safety deposit box).
Ammo cans are pretty great for that, sort of a poor man's pelican case.

If a hurricane destroys everything and it happens to be during a week when I'm out on the road, then I feel pretty good about everything inside a 25mm can I got from the gunners on the destroyer. My old natops jacket/medical/logbooks/plus a few non-mil things fit in there. If you make a deployment on a big gray floating thing and you're nice to people then it's pretty easy to score one of those or a 20mm can. 50 caliber cans are super easy to come by but they're pretty small if you're stuffing documents in there.

Obviously an ammo can doesn't don't lock like a gun safe or a fire safe, but then if you're worried about burglary then I think the mystery prize inside a real seems like a big target... so who knows. Best is still either an actual safe that's solidly attached to your house or an old fashioned safe deposit box downtown at the bank.

Surplus stores sell all this stuff too, but the big ammo cans are a bit rarer.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ammo cans are pretty great for that, sort of a poor man's pelican case.

If a hurricane destroys everything and it happens to be during a week when I'm out on the road, then I feel pretty good about everything inside a 25mm can I got from the gunners on the destroyer. My old natops jacket/medical/logbooks/plus a few non-mil things fit in there. If you make a deployment on a big gray floating thing and you're nice to people then it's pretty easy to score one of those or a 20mm can. 50 caliber cans are super easy to come by but they're pretty small if you're stuffing documents in there.

Obviously an ammo can doesn't don't lock like a gun safe or a fire safe, but then if you're worried about burglary then I think the mystery prize inside a real seems like a big target... so who knows. Best is still either an actual safe that's solidly attached to your house or an old fashioned safe deposit box downtown at the bank.

Surplus stores sell all this stuff too, but the big ammo cans are a bit rarer.
Fire/waterproof safes aren't that pricey and are a worthy investment for keeping wills and other important papers safe. The waterproof part is apparently very important as safes can get drowned during firefighting efforts. Also should keep it on the ground floor so it doesn't fall from a few stories up as the structure burns down and then cracks like an egg.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fire/waterproof safes aren't that pricey and are a worthy investment for keeping wills and other important papers safe. The waterproof part is apparently very important as safes can get drowned during firefighting efforts. Also should keep it on the ground floor so it doesn't fall from a few stories up as the structure burns down and then cracks like an egg.
Of course old school bank deposit box is safe and secure from all threats. Keep copies at home for easy reference. Let it burn if it comes to it.

jmcquate

Contributor
Asking for a modeling project. How long is a holdback bar. 3 feet? If they're type specific, it's for an F-14.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Dave Grohl of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters is a Honda Odyssey man. Can't go wrong with that gen-x, grunge endorsement.

You called it, my wife chose the Honda Odyssey EXL (leather, moonroof, etc) and is very happy with it. Have to admit, it is very comfortable.

On a sidenote, car shopping is quite difficult right now. Car lots are half empty and prices, all prices, are substantially higher. Inflation is at 5%? 6%?

Pags

N/A
pilot
You called it, my wife chose the Honda Odyssey EXL (leather, moonroof, etc) and is very happy with it. Have to admit, it is very comfortable.

On a sidenote, car shopping is quite difficult right now. Car lots are half empty and prices, all prices, are substantially higher. Inflation is at 5%? 6%?
Car shopping has been difficult for some time now. Demand is high and supply is low and strained due to a variety of factors.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Car shopping has been difficult for some time now. Demand is high and supply is low and strained due to a variety of factors.
Microchip shortage- actually a global microchip shortage. Auto microelectronic technology is usually a generation behind (basically means the millions of tiny little transistors on the chip aren't the latest, tiniest possible state of the art size). As the car industry spooled back up after 2020, the chip industry didn't want to retool for the older stuff because in the meantime the demand for consumer electronics was up and they'd shifted production there.

I've been waiting to use this one for a long time!

Dang it, official Weird Al doesn't allow embedded video.

exNavyOffRec

A friend of mine that owns a fairly large repair shop is seeing cars that people were buying for 1000 2 years now selling 3000 due to lack of available vehicles.

Not only microchips but other items as well, general parts that would be used to build cars are out of stock or low stock, parts that are needed for repairs that used to take a day or two to get are now taking months. The repair place told one guy who's car was hit that he may as well see if the insurance company would just total his car out as the parts needed for the mechanical repair were on a nationwide backlog with no estimate of back in stock, he already had his rental car for a month and the insurance company was not pleased.

Tires are another issue depending on the size.

All this adds up to not a good time to get a car.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Microchip shortage- actually a global microchip shortage. Auto microelectronic technology is usually a generation behind (basically means the millions of tiny little transistors on the chip aren't the latest, tiniest possible state of the art size). As the car industry spooled back up after 2020, the chip industry didn't want to retool for the older stuff because in the meantime the demand for consumer electronics was up and they'd shifted production there.

I've been waiting to use this one for a long time!

Dang it, official Weird Al doesn't allow embedded video.

You kind of hit on the root cause, but essentially two manufacturing lines got out of sync. The chip manufacturers don't want to make the chips anymore that the auto industry is using and the auto manufacturers didn't update their designs for the newer chips.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

Update on the Honda Odyssey. Hate to say it, but very impressed. Although minivans are the sweatpants of the automotive world, it IS comfortable, it IS practical. Gas mileage is surprisingly only 20mpg so not much better than my Hemi RAM, maybe the next one will be a hybrid. But for those with families dead set on a SUV, at least take an Odyssey or Sienna for a test drive.

Reactions: IKE

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Because Gin, like vodka, doesn't need to be aged, if you do some digging you'll find a tremendous variety of experimental combinations because similar to beer, you can pump out small batches much more economically than committing to trying something and then aging it for multiple years before you find out whether it sells. Fun area to explore.
First I have heard of this:

Chernobyl’s vodka producer remains defiant​

It started with "Chernobyl moonshine". Scientists who were studying crops grown in the Chernobyl exclusion zone decided to use some of their leftover grain to produce alcohol.
That experiment became a social enterprise that made and sold a spirit drink called, appropriately enough, Atomik.