• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pull-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor2216

I'm just wondering but am I the only one who can't do any pull-ups???? I have my PFT coming up in a couple of weeks and I don't want to be rejected because I can't do some stinking pull-ups!! Will someone please tell me about some excercises I can do to build up enough muscle to be able to do 10 pull-ups? At the moment I can do 2-3 at the most and I did join a gym to improve my strength. I use a machine that kinda helps me with some weight so I end up lifting about 60-70% of my weight. So, any hints will help. Thanks.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Obviously, you realize that pullups count the most points on the PFT. It sounds like your on the right track. Do pullups in sets. 3 sets of 3 pullups until you feel stronger to increase to 4 and so on. Pull up machines at gyms are great to teach your body muscle memory. Work on your lats and biceps routinely and soon you'll be doing 20 pullups. Unless you can run like the devil, set your goal for at least 18 pullups for every PFT for the rest of your career. Good luck. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

bpikula

Just to add to what Frumby said, you may want to try using a wide grip when you are working out. This will make it harder by dercreasing your leverage and increasing the range of motion. It really helps target the muscles in your back by reducing the load on your arms. Once you can do 10-12 wide grip switch back to a narrow grip and knock 'em out. You may want to try an underhand grip, I can usually do 5-10 more using this method. One other thing, watch your form! When I did the PFT for the Marines I did 20 and stopped, but apparently 2 or 3 didn't count because I didn't go all the way back down or something about "dead hang". I wasn't told about until later. You may want to ask them to count out the legit ones just so you know. Frumby is right, pull-ups and crunches you may want to max out, 'cause the run sucks! Hopefully this helps. Good luck!

PeacoatMan

You could also try doing pull-ups with a 25 lbs (or whatever you're comfortable with) dumbbell between your legs or use a belt and attach a plate. That will make a regular pull-up feel pretty easy.

I have a friend at the USNA who can do 35 -- his roommate can do 55. He tells me you just have to do them and do them and do them.

Kick some A,
Joey

Raptor2216

Ok, all of that info sounds good but now let me ask you guys, how long do you think it SHOULD take me to get up to atleast 10 if I go to the gym everyday and do the shoulder/bicept excercises? I am hoping that I can get up to 10 within the next 3 weeks(in time to send my application in for the november board), so that I don't have to wait untill next april to hear back from the marines. Thanks.

bpikula

Three weeks is possible. It depends on a couple of things. 1) how long have you been working out? If it hasn't been very long you will see trememdous gains in the first few weeks. If you have been working out and are stuck at a plateau, try changing your routine (higher weight-low reps) that will kick start your muscles and increase growth. 2) How hard do you work out? If you want to see gains in strength in 3 weeks you had better see stars when you finish a set. Don't kill yourself but go until failure and then have a spotter help you do 2 more. 3) What do you eat? Try a protien supplement to help repair your muscles and if you are looking for a quick boost in strength and endurance try creatine. I took it once and my bench max jumped up 50 lbs in a month. It seems to allow you to work harder and longer before muscle failure. I've also heard it will improve your timed runs, but I can't back that up personally. Bottom line: you can do it, just push yourself hard, consume lots of protein, and try different routines. Oh yeah, be sure to allow a body part at least 48 hours to recover or you will fall victim to the "theory of diminishing returns". (you'll be busting your butt, but getting no results) 3 weeks will be tough, but not impossible. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.