• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PT Help

Socrates

I'm a Marine Reservist that recently hurt his knee. (lets just say i got fat and happy) I plan on going to OCS this summer but I'm so out of shape right now i don't think I could get a first class. I just started that Armstrong pull up work out and i am seeing improvments already. But my big problem is my run. I've never been a strong runner and this recent injury has taken back all the progress that I had origionally gained. Does anyone have any good training tips for running? I would like to get to a 20-23 min 3 mile.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
Hills, baby. And sprinkle some sprints in there.
I've found luck with this: run a whole 3 miles at an 18-min pace, but broken down into sprints and rest. For example, run 12 1/4-mile legs in 1:30 each, with 3:00 rest in between (start shorter if this is too hard). When you can do this, increase to 1/2-mile in 3:00, rest for 6:00. Keep increasing when you're ready. The whole workout, regardless of leg length, is 54 mins. It got me from a 27-min to a 23-min in about a month. Beware of shin splints.