• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT Training

BDCPCowboy

Lola I think that this is an okay place to start. Obviously when dealing with exercise you need to tailor your workouts to you. As previously discussed Individual and Sport specific workouts are very important so that you get the most bang for your buck and don't over train. As far as your nutrition goes to simply explain it: Calories In vs. Calories Out.
1 Gram
Carb: 4kcal
Protein: 4kcal
Fat: 9kcal
Ethanol(alcohol):7
Watch intake of fat/ethanol as you can see they add up a bit faster ~3700kcals/lb when your body adjusts your metabolism. You will also need to increase your quality protein intake 1.5-2.0 grams/kg of Body weight to help repair muscle fibers. Ex: 100lb person/2.2= 45kg*1.5-20= 68-90 grams of protein/day. Stay hydrated you can lose 10% of your strength when you are dehydrated. *Listen to you body* If you have any more specific question regrading exercise and nutrition I would be glad to help to the best of my ability. I am an exercise science major and have a nutrition minor. Below are some helpful sites in getting you started.

http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/calneed
http://www.mypyramidtracker.gov/
http://www.navy-prt.com/
http://www.navyseals.com/community/articles/print/cfm?id=629
http://www.crossfit.com/

BDCPCowboy

Some quick weight loss tips:

1. Roll out of bed and do Cardio. Research shows that in a fasted state more fat is used during cardiovascular exercise, but if food was consumed in this case carbohydrates before exercise, there is a greater reliance on burning carbohydrate rather than fat. Carbohydrates are preferentially oxidized or burned when present.

2. (30-60min) to burn fat. It takes a bit for your body to switch to beta oxidation(fat) stick with it. Build to it: for example alternating cardio days with stationary bike/running and yes walking 5-7 days a week. Use an intensity that you can maintain for an 30-60min.

If you have any more specific question regrading exercise/nutrition/weight management I would be glad to help to the best of my ability. I am an exercise science major and have a nutrition minor.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
mwf was weight lifting, plus timed sit ups and push ups and max pull ups at the gym. T,TH,Sat was run 2 miles, or swim laps. Sunday was rest. Seemed to work for me.

exhelodrvr

pilot
I was told that i need to get an excellent-low for the PRT, and have a month to get there from a good-low; therefore, I am going to be training as hard as possible so I don't have to wait 2 months to submit my package.

My question is: How many days a week should I do each training part (running, pushups, and situps)?

As I understand it now, I shouldn't run more than 5 days a week, but I have no idea how many max days a week is possible for situps and pushups. I am asking so I don't injure myself. As of now, I think 7 days a week would be possible for pushups and 6 maybe for situps. I also don't want to plattue or "hit a wall" and not keep increasing my numbers.

A lot of other things you can do for the cardio on the non-running days. And for the running, recommend as much of it as possible being on softer surfaces (machines at the gym, running trails, tracks) rather than on streets.

BDCPCowboy

mwf was weight lifting, plus timed sit ups and push ups and max pull ups at the gym. T,TH,Sat was run 2 miles, or swim laps. Sunday was rest. Seemed to work for me.

This workout schedule is pretty similar to the Navy PRT.com one with just the cardio on the rest days. I use a similar schedule with variation of cardio everyday. I think it is great for those who don't need to lose any kcals or have low BF% and especially if it works for you.

BDCPCowboy

A lot of other things you can do for the cardio on the non-running days. And for the running, recommend as much of it as possible being on softer surfaces (machines at the gym, running trails, tracks) rather than on streets.

I agree, eliptical/pool/stationary bike/walking etc...

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Some people might cringe when they hear this but it helps build that back strength up alongside of push-ups.. Mountain climbers

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Olympic lifts are the best way to build overall core strength.

Deadlifts, squats, benchpress, hang clean.

Yum yum yum.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor

Which is why they figure so prominently in Crossfit. They are fantastic. A word of caution however....DO NOT attempt an Olympic lift you are unfamiliar with without supervision/training. It is a fantastic way to hurt yourself quickly and badly.

As for improving pushups...do more. You aren't going to hurt your performance doing bodyweight exercises, like pushups, every day. That's a load of crap. I am a big proponent of the Armstrong workout for both pullup and pushup improvement. Try it. You won't be sorry.

I want to know what a "bare" crawl is. Anyone got a pic?:D

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor

Deadlifts, squats, benchpress, hang clean.

Yum yum yum.

i've found that if you bench enough (>300) you don't even need to worry about training for a physical fitness type test (except running). i know this is PRT but.. I didn't do pullups for a PFT for 5 months, just worked on upping my bench after losing so much strength at OCS... and 5 months later I knocked out 20 on a PFT like it was nothing (probably could have gotten 23 or more). if I had of known this before I got into the commissioning program I would have saved alot of time instead of doing 150-200 pullups a day

it would be even more beneficial if your test is for pushups

work smarter not harder

Srp7286

as soon as you put your package in, when do you take your PRT. I asked my OR and he just told me to "not worry about it" implying that i should worry about it after i take the ASTB

nugget61

pilot
as soon as you put your package in, when do you take your PRT. I asked my OR and he just told me to "not worry about it" implying that i should worry about it after i take the ASTB

It's up to your OR's discretion when you take it - can be the first thing you do, the last thing or somewhere in the middle. Just be ready to take it asap so you don't have to push it back when he gives you a date.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
From my understanding, which is probably off, you have to have the PRT done before heading to OCS but not before submitting your package for acceptance into OCS....is this correct?

BullGator

From my understanding, which is probably off, you have to have the PRT done before heading to OCS but not before submitting your package for acceptance into OCS....is this correct?
Read up one post before yours. It is up to your OR and recruiting department when you take your PRT. You do need to take it before final selection though. You will also take it when you get to OCS. What is your OR telling you?