• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT influence on boards

Scruff

None
Contributor
Hi, I tried searching but couldn't come up with much. I was just wondering if your prt scores had much influence on the selection committee. I know of the whole person concept, but will REALLY good prt scores help bring up a lower astb score in the minds of the boards. I appreciate any input provided.

tturaider

Pro Rec SNA
I am currently am at the board and we did not submit any PRT scores. I wanted to because I can score outstanding high on it. So I don't know if it is something that is looked at or not.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Are you talking about aviation contract selection boards? I really couldn't tell you either, but it's not like being a PT stud helps you succeed in flight school so I would guess that a killer PRT score is not going to save you if your academics/ASTB sucks.

Scruff

None
Contributor
Pill_Hacker said:
A good PRT can only help, but ask yourself, do you think a good score on a PHYSICAL test will "bring up" ACADEMIC scores in terms of their perception of you?

Very True. Poor selection of words on my part with : "bring up" , but rather, help push you over the borderline with regards to decision. I fully understand that the ASTB is the main tool in regards to selection, being that is based on your mental capabilities. I would hate to think that the board looked at a strong PT score and think. " Hey that guy can fly"

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate the quick responses.

JimD

Soon to be AMDO
I fully understand that the ASTB is the main tool in regards to selection

Not so sure I agree with this either. It is a whole package. Transcripts, in part, represent your past, ASTB represents your present, and your hand written statement represents your future. Throw some LORs in there to help tie everything together and that is what they look at.

Muscles can be strengthened and fat can be shed. But the kid with 2.0 GPA scoring a 80 OAR, but writes - one very longsentance with no real direction and lacking all ues of punctuatin and has a bunch of speeling errars and talking only about his grandpa and how he really wants to be in the navy because he really wants to fly air planes like tom cruise did in top gun and - still probably won't get in.

You get my point.

jhawley

Not so sure I agree with this either. It is a whole package. Transcripts, in part, represent your past, ASTB represents your present, and your hand written statement represents your future. Throw some LORs in there to help tie everything together and that is what they look at.

Muscles can be strengthened and fat can be shed. But the kid with 2.0 GPA scoring a 80 OAR, but writes - one very longsentance with no real direction and lacking all ues of punctuatin and has a bunch of speeling errars and talking only about his grandpa and how he really wants to be in the navy because he really wants to fly air planes like tom cruise did in top gun and - still probably won't get in.

You get my point.

amen

JSnake

From what my OR tells me, PRT is pass/fail in commissioning applications so it doesn't really matter whether you get a good low or excellent high, UNLESS you get outstanding high. If you get outstanding high, then it'll help you stand out. But even then, I'd imagine it will only help towards your whole person package, it wouldn't substitute for low ASTB scores.