• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRT Form Standards

wannabe1

Hello All!

Long time reader, first time poster. . .

I was wondering, in your own personal experience with the pre-PRT, how strict were those monitoring you RE your form (ie. push ups- what if you arch your back ever so slightly to 'rest'. . .are you forced to stop regardless of what number you are on)?

Thank you for your responses. I have enjoyed reading all of your advice.

Goob83

None
Hello All!

I was wondering, in your own personal experience with the pre-PRT, how strict were those monitoring you RE your form (ie. push ups- what if you arch your back ever so slightly to 'rest'. . .are you forced to stop regardless of what number you are on)?

you can rest in the up right position but if you lift your hands your done. if you wiggle and squirm and have not met the required number to meet good low standards you are done.

that is the OCS way or the way I give it to my applicants. I just had a guy go to OCS last week and he was doing excellent Low here then when he checked in he failed not sure why and I am amazed he failed I guess stress and fatigue got him.

corvettetimmy

Hello All!

The quality of push ups and sit ups will vary greatly depending on how motivated the observer is. They should all be in accordance with the PRT regs, especially with the sad state of the Navy's physical fitness.

Just make sure that you can do enough without resting. Nothing like counting on not getting caught as your main strategy for the prt.

Just practice often and your performance will quickly increase.

BigRed389

None
Goob, OCS standards aren't just strict, they're frickin' anal.

Fingers tight together, hands pointed straight forward, and you gotta go low enough to break the plane every time...if it doesn't "look" low enough it probably isn't.
They also like to hit people who can't maintain the perfect pushup position with feet/heels together and back perfectly straight.

And I saw a fair number of guys who got rolled...who could easily do 70+ pushups...form really gets people. They weren't weak, they just couldn't do em the "right" way.

Goob83

None
Goob, OCS standards aren't just strict, they're frickin' anal.

Fingers tight together, hands pointed straight forward, and you gotta go low enough to break the plane every time...if it doesn't "look" low enough it probably isn't.
They also like to hit people who can't maintain the perfect pushup position with feet/heels together and back perfectly straight.

And I saw a fair number of guys who got rolled...who could easily do 70+ pushups...form really gets people. They weren't weak, they just couldn't do em the "right" way.

YUP all true.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
I love how training commands "create" rules for the PRT. It is completely ridiculous. What a great intro to the Navy.:confused:

Enforce the instruction...period.

P3 F0

None
It's kind of the same with the water survival swim.... form is everything.

As far as the PRT goes... I don't know how it is in the training commands/OCS these days, but if your PRT coordinator cuts your PRT short because of a form issue without giving you at least one warning first, then there's something wrong with him/her. In the squadrons & other commands, I've heard warnings and the like for form, but I've never heard anyone get stopped over it.

And if form is an issue for you, keep in mind there's plenty of gaming to be done. Know your mins to pass for your age group. Play to your strong traits--if you can bang out tons of situps, then max them so you can do less on your pushups and/or run.