• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prt #2

shotcalla10

what percent of RL officers get jets?
damn... my PU and SU sucks compared to most people on this site...
I can do 55 PU and 50 SU... run time 10:15 though.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

Quite the opposite of you, I can max PU and SU pretty easily with a little touchup before the PFA. However, I drag ass through the max run time, every time. 11:00 is a good time for me. I wish I could do 9:30, but I am trying to run every day now and be a responsible ENS.....:)

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

Be careful what you wish for. I think that your good run time is going to help a lot more in OCS than my good pushups.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Be careful what you wish for. I think that your good run time is going to help a lot more in OCS than my good pushups.

Not true. A good run time may cause your DI to "like" you more (not that you'll ever see this anyway), but having poor pushups and/or situps will bring you SERIOUS negative attention. Runs (for pace) are only during PT and in a relatively non-stress environment. PU and SU are done at ANY point ALL DAY long and if you are dragging ass and weak on PU or SU, then you WILL be found out and get extra attention. I sucked at running, and while called a slug and made fun of, this didn't get me extra attention (other things, however, did :p).

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Not true. A good run time may cause your DI to "like" you more (not that you'll ever see this anyway), but having poor pushups and/or situps will bring you SERIOUS negative attention. Runs (for pace) are only during PT and in a relatively non-stress environment. PU and SU are done at ANY point ALL DAY long and if you are dragging ass and weak on PU or SU, then you WILL be found out and get extra attention. I sucked at running, and while called a slug and made fun of, this didn't get me extra attention (other things, however, did :p).

Well, I was referring to the cardiovascular endurance helping you with stuff like star jumps, squat thrusts, and whatever other strange stuff they have you do.

I assumed (perhaps wrongfully) that whenever candidates got beat, the DIs would push them to exhaustion no matter how many pushups they could do.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well, I was referring to the cardiovascular endurance helping you with stuff like star jumps, squat thrusts, and whatever other strange stuff they have you do.

I assumed (perhaps wrongfully) that whenever candidates got beat, the DIs would push them to exhaustion no matter how many pushups they could do.

Yes but pushups and leg-lifts/situps are FAR more common in beatings than the other. Star-jumpers and the like are usually done on the WAY back from PT or somewhere else and if done outside of PT, it's usually because you suck extra hard. Usually just PU and SU outside of PT (or sprints down the p-way, crab-walking etc).

And while everyone is exhausted, the guy with his knees on the deck after 20 pushups and holding position is going to get negative attention. There WILL be a select few who are always first to drop their knees or back not straight. They WILL get special attention.:icon_wink

shotcalla10

I'll just keep repeating to myself during the beatings... "mental to physical is four is to one."

I've been a basketball player all my life so anything to do with running, sprinting, squating and such is a bit easier for me (and I'm able to push myself harder even when my legs burn like hell) than push ups and situps... I feel like with calisthenics, when you hit a limit, there isn't much you can do but rest a little... but when it comes to running, u can keep pushing.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Best thing I can tell you for pushups is to lift weights, but also do pushups 48 hours after a chest day. For example, if you do chest/tris on monday and on wed you are doing legs (or any other body part), you should work a few sets of pushups in.

For situps, it's just a matter of getting on the floor and doing them. Something that helped me this past week was doing a set of 20-25 ab reps between sets of weights. Keeps the heartrate up for cardio strength, works abs for the situps, and speeds up your workout.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Best thing I can tell you for pushups is to lift weights, but also do pushups 48 hours after a chest day. For example, if you do chest/tris on monday and on wed you are doing legs (or any other body part), you should work a few sets of pushups in.

For situps, it's just a matter of getting on the floor and doing them. Something that helped me this past week was doing a set of 20-25 ab reps between sets of weights. Keeps the heartrate up for cardio strength, works abs for the situps, and speeds up your workout.

Good thing I recommend is doing dips and also when doing bench, knock out 20 pushups if you can or as many as it takes for you to collapse to the floor. Not only does this benefit your bench (weight you can lift) but it also helps your pushups since you're already fatigued and busting out as many as you can until failure. Dips and pushups after bench really helps my pushups (and physique! :icon_wink)

Josh

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I do dips as part of my chest workout. It's usually the first "tricep" exercise that I do. Triceps in quotes cuz it also works chest.

But yea, dips on off-chest days are good, too. The biggest thing you hit upon is train to failure. It's tough to do that all the time -- it's easy for a lot of people to become satisfied with how much they are lifting, but it's important to improving yourself.

shotcalla10

do any of you guys have problems doing situps because of your tail-bone? I always have to put padding where my tail-bone is or else it'll do some major damage (massive abrasions) because I have a sharp tail-bone. Is that going to be a problem at OCS?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
do any of you guys have problems doing situps because of your tail-bone? I always have to put padding where my tail-bone is or else it'll do some major damage (massive abrasions) because I have a sharp tail-bone. Is that going to be a problem at OCS?

I know what you're talking about, and no. You will have plenty of "motivation" and won't think much about your tailbone.:D

Tom

pilot
Contributor
My tail bone was rubbed raw for 6 weeks and left a good portion of my clothes with blood stains.

shotcalla10

My tail bone was rubbed raw for 6 weeks and left a good portion of my clothes with blood stains.

Damn, I know how that feels... Used to get it doing sit-ups during basketball conditioning all the time.. One more thing for me to look forward to in OCS then. You just kept pushing huh?