• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Program Authorization 100C

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Why is this a thing? Do we really need USNA coaches as a military profession?

I know other navies have Physical Training Instructors as a rate, but this is clearly not the same.

In this installment of Snake's "What Grinds My Gears"...

This PA gets brought up every few years. USNA wants to bring in quality coaches who have athletic backgrounds and can pay them beyond the salary average (average is around $41K/year). They can do so by taking folks, placing them on active duty as a 1200 designator/USNA Coach and then they go home after their 4-5 years of service. They access maybe 4-5 USNA Coaches a year, so very minimal impact when it comes to manning.

You can make the same argument for the Nuclear community. Why not hire civilian teachers to teach nuke school instead? Or why not hire civilian engineers/analysts to run NR? Instead, they decided to bring in officers with specialized backgrounds to do the work for 4-5 years.

Mods, can we combine all of Snake's thread creations and name them "Snake's What Grinds my Gears"?

azguy

None
The thing I don't understand is that USNA and PERS have a mechanism to keep newly commissioned varsity-athlete USNA grads working at the Academy/NAPS in an similar capacity, they just delay their reporting to URL training. I don't get commissioning someone to be a sports coach. Why not make all USNA head coaches direct-commission O-6s? I get that it's a huge pay cut for the football coach, but there are many programs that could attract more qualified head coaches with O-6 pay. Navy is already doing this for Cyber guys.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Then there was Raynor Sarnac who went the other way, from active duty O-6 to (civilian) coaching Division I-A.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I don't know what's new here. USNA had commissioned junior coaches when I was living there in the 90's. It makes sense. USNA needs to hire coaches and give them a salary package with health care. What's easier than just making them an Ensign? The perk for the coaches is they get a sweet white uniform to wear once every couple years. It's not like they're taking anyone's SNA spot from them.