• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyBoyChris

OK i have a question relating to procedures. How anal are they about using checklists? Do you have to commit themt memeory, or can you memorize the general point of a specific checklist and then refer to it in the plane? i think in my flying i have 2 maybe 3 checklist memorized, and the rest of the time i just pull out the list a se it. I hear people say that you need to know the checklist COLD, but does tha mean recognizing the prolem and knowing the list to use on it? Or does it mean that you have to know EVERY item on the list by heart?

Thanks Chris

take care thanks

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Chris,

I concur whole heartedly with everything that Matt has to say. The only thing that I would add, is that the checklist is just there as a reminder. In many cases it is straight forward such as turning a switch off, or checking the transponder is in standby, but in other cases there are actions that you have to know that go along with checklist.

During Primary, alot of ppl mark up their checklists with pencil to help remind them of stuff, god knows I was guilty of that. So, to answer your question, yes, it is "anal", and you will be expected to know what buttons to push, what gauges to look at, and possibly what tolerances are allowed (altitude with 75 feet of field elevation on the altimeter for example).

I can't speak for the jet community, but the checklists in Adanced for the T44 (Props) take on a life of their own. It is VERY important that you know all your actions and what you are checking for with each checklist item, and god forbid you repeat back the incorrect reply, for instance you say "checked" instead of "set"... Also, since we are multipiloted, the copilot reads/runs the checklist, and the pilot does the action items and replies. In some cases in the P3 you are getting responses from various aircrew in the tube.

But as Matt said, when it comes to Procedures (clearly written out in your books), and the Emergency/Normal Procedures (in NATOPs), there isn't any grey area there, you HAVE to know those by heart, or risk having your ass handed to you in flight.

FlyBoyChris

Thank you guys, i wasn's sure if you had to know all the list(that would be hard). All the emergeny list that i have ever used seem pretty staight forward and are rather obvious, and therefore easy to memorize. but again thank you that cleared up any question i had.
Chris

take care thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.