• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

problems with my On-Wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooyah

I am hoping somebody out there can give me solid advice on my current situation. I am currently up to FAM3, and I am experiencing major clashes with my On-Wing. My IP shows me no respect, makes rude and belittling comments before, after and during my flight. I have been made aware that my IP has talked bad about me to other instructors, as well as made a bad comment about me in front of another student. I know that IP's are there to teach, and if thats through yelling and what not, then thats whats needed. Yet my on-wing has told me to find out the info i need to know from others...I feel like I am not really learning from flying with my IP. My IP is known for being extra-hard, and totally unforgiving. I have been trying to make up my mind whether or not I want to be a pilot, and my experiences with my on-wing are totally turning me off. What should I do?

antisnook

Dont let a-holes get in the way of your dreams. First of all, he cant fail you if you study your ass off and are better than competent. Find out how others are doing and try to be one step ahead of them. I agree with you, your situation isnt the most desireable one, although with this on-wing you will be forced to become a solid SNA. I cant speak from experience in primary, but I can speak from experience from certain professors. This is a good challenge for you because you not only have to absorb all the info regarding flying the t-34, but you also have to find ways to satisfy this hard ass on-wing. One of the ways to satisfy him may be to be 99% flawless. Yes, this is going to be tough, but it will definately prepare you for the later training in intermediate and advanced training.
Sorry, I know this is easier said than done, but just try to do all that you can to not let this on-wing screw you out of your dream.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to mention go talk to your PA... that's what they're there for.

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Your best course of action is to try and talk to your on-wing about your concerns. You always have to respect your chain of command. Be respectfully of course but be direct, and let him know how you feel and of your concerns. If he is totally unresponsive to what you say then I would take it one step up. Because if this is affecting your training then I would say this is a valid concern. Your On-wing is supposed to be the guy supporting you. Also if you are trying to decide if aviation is for you then I would say at lest give it till initial solo before you make any decision. Because it is after that that Primary starts to get fun. Also wait until you fly with someone else, because each instructor’s style is different and you will like some more then others

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
quote:Not to mention go talk to your PA... that's what they're there for.

That hit it on the head right there, exactly what I was going to say. If you are having a problem with your Onwing, you got to your PA. Above all DON'T let this person adversely affect your desire to fly. All of us who have been through the pipeline have flown with some real a-holes. My personal worst was my solo check ride with an IP known to be a jerk, and it was like his next to last flight in the squadron, oh joy. Pretty soon you will be going off wing for your flights, and you will see what a dramatic change other instructor's styles are.

As Falcaner mentioned, as long as you know your material, and aren't a complete idiot in the briefs (I made that mistake ONCE during beginning stage FAMs, it wasn't a pleasant experience), then the IP should not have the grounds to be such a jerk. Primary is pretty notorious for IPs publicly bashing students in front of other students. I don't know how many times I would be standing duty as AFDO, and hear IPs going on about how shitty a student was. It was like we were beneath notice and did not matter. I can understand how it is part of the winnowing out process, and how suddenly near the end of Primary they begin to treat you differently.

I have had several IPs throughout training that were very overbearing (and to a degree intentionally) to try and get the best out of you. For me, I always gave back what they dished out.

As metioned, you have your different recourses, talk to the IP and ask whats going on. Where do you stand. All his comments should be about your performance in the briefs and your monkey skills et al in the plane. From there you have your PA, and other IPs in the squadron. Last of all, you always have your end of stage critiques, and those DO get read. Lots of students just sign off on them, I always spent the time to give praise where it was due, and slam things that I thought weren't working, always citing examples instead of vague generalizations.

Anyways, my two cents, I would be curious to hear the IP point of view/take on this from Frumby.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Hey, John, what you said....

But I've got to wonder if this isn't an IP trolling...you know?

Ed Williams

Just think, all you need to do is solo, once you do that, no more on-wing flights. Dr=efinately talk to your PA though. they might actually come in handy.
ed

Status
Not open for further replies.