• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK waiver b/t Cruise, Serv. Sel., and Comm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboy21

I know the PRK waiver is b/t 3 to 6 months depending on how bad your eyes are. For me, it would be 6 months. However, for ROTC, as soon as you get PRK, you're NPQ'd for all Cruises and Commissioning pending a waiver. However, I didn't know if you had to be medically qualified when you put in your 1/C Service Selection package, or if it is possible to have everything else except the waiver at that point. Is it possible to be selected SNA/SNFO while still waiting for a waiver and then be commissioned pending the waiver? Or does everything, including medical stuff, have to be complete before you submit your selection package? I'm worried that if I get PRK Junior year, I would be NPQ'd for 1/C Cruise which would prevent Commissioning, and if I get it after 1/C Cruise, I will still be NPQ'd come time for Service Selection. Thanks for any advice on the best way to fit in PRK between all the ROTC requirements.

FSUMIDN

P-3 TACCO
NO! You MUST have the waiver before the service selection cut. I am now an SNFO select because I couldn't get the surgery and be waivered before the selection deadline. My unit took a couple of months looking into the surgery and how it applies to midshipmen. They finally came back to me and broke the news that I wouldn't be able to meet the timeline before selection and Pensacola said no way. They told me it was possible to reapply after I was waivered but the possibility of selection after the fact would be infinitely close to zero.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Currently I am in my 3rd class year. I want to get PRK done, any suggestions as to when it would be best to have it done? Thanks.

Nozeman

Steifel

I stumbled onto this page because I noticed PRK. I had PRK done about 7 months ago. I'm currently going SNA assuming my package gets approved after it's sent out after my PFT next week. Everything else is done and good. But amidst all the excitement I've forgotten about the waiver until now. My OSO hasnt mentioned anything about it. Naturally at MEPS I was DQd because I lacked a waiver but everything else checked out good. Any advice on how to expedite the process. OCS should start on July 7 of this year. Thanx

FSUMIDN

P-3 TACCO
NozeMan, get PRK done between when you get back from your 3/C cruise and withing 6 months of your 2/C cruise. This is assuming you have vision bad enough to wait six months.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
FSUMIDN,

I am a 3/c NOW and will be taking my 2/c cruise this summer. I originally planned on doing over Christmas break of my Junior year. Will this cause problems with my 1/c aviation cruise?

Nozeman

navymid02

I'm a 3/C Mid who needs PRK. Due to what is being said about time needed after surgery, I really want to try to get this thing done soon. The problem is that I am not yet 21. Is there anyone out there that had the PRK done before they turned 21? If so, how did you get the doctor to agree to do it before you turned 21?

PSU MIDN 3/C

FSUMIDN

P-3 TACCO
NozeMan,
Try to get it as early as possible after cruise so that your precommisioning physical goes after you are waivered. You should also go 1st class aviation ashore. Aviation afloat is a carrier swo cruise in reality. Phase III is also best because by then they have all the kinks worked out.

I was in Oceana with StrikeFitWingLant assigned to VFA-81 and it was awesome. Got to go on a new carrier and fly Hornet.

I had PRK when I was 20 and it was never a problem. Also, I would suggest getting PRK before winter break of your 2/C year. That is when I had it done and I was not able to get an upchit to go on a 1/C aviation cruise although I was in the 3 month wait category. I would just get it done after cruise this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.