• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Question

MettGT

pilot
I plan on applying for OCC-195 (two summers from now) and have yet to call up my OSO. However, I'm looking to get a jumpstart on the process by getting PRK. Do I need to go ahead to meet my OSO to get any forms or anything to give to my surgeon when I go in for my consult?

ItsTurboTime

I haven't had to do any paperwork with my OSO or any USMC paperwork regarding my PRK, which is next Tuesday. It still might be a good idea to check in with your OSO though.

NavyLonghorn

Once again, seems like a question that youd want to ask your OSO. This is a place for Gouge, not a place for specifics. In other words, do you want to risk totally gumming up a process by take the word of someone who isnt your OSO?

Lisa10

Just to add...I got PRK and it was one of the best things I did! Make sure you go to a good Dr. though.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
I had prk done before I talked to my OSO, but I think it would be a good idea just to check with him first.

MettGT

pilot
Sounds like I'll talk to my OSO. Thanks for the guidance.

I'm pretty sure I got a good surgeon - I was referred by my ophthalmologist who I consider to be top notch. We'll see when I go in for my consult.

SpiderUSMC

Just got mine done Thursday (3/30), but I have been in contact with my OSO for over 6 months. He's wanted me in contact throughout the procedure.

aznrower

Just wondering if anyone knows how long you have to wait after having PRK surgery before applying for a waiver. I know the Air Force will DQ for one year and you can apply after that time. Searching older posts, I have seen some mention the Navy's policy as 6 months and one thread said it was 3 months.

thanks!

SpiderUSMC

The "word" I've received so far (this is USMC side of the house, but I believe it's the same for the Navy) is that it depends on how bad you were before the operation. Mild to medium can be as little as 3 months, heavier change six months. That said even once that time has passed you have to show a level of stability before you're elligible for your waiver.

I believe that's all correct, anyone with better gouge chime in and correct me.