• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK on the Gubment's dime

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Looks like it's a way to cater to lifers. Doesn't sound like an innately bad idea at all.

If all bases are covered, it will be yet another sweet deal to look forward to. As if BAH, free PRK surgery, and STA-21 weren't sweet enough. Those are just the things which I have benefited from personally (or planning to benefit from, in the case of STA-21).

how do you get "free" PRK surgery outside of a service academy? :confused:

SkywardET

Contrarian
how do you get "free" PRK surgery outside of a service academy? :confused:
It is offered free to active duty under certain conditions (such as time left at a particular duty station). I am guessing it is used as a way of keeping up doctor's proficiency with it as well as offering a huge morale boost and medical benefit to its recipients.

I was offered it prior to Christmas stand-down in 2006 because at the time I had more than 18 months left to serve at my command, was over 21, and didn't have any disqualifiers (medically or otherwise). It was done at an Army clinic and on the forms it asked whether I was a combat troop, combat auxiliary, or support. That was the order of priority to recipients. Obviously most Sailors count as support.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I started the process when the program was in its infancy. There were only two excimer lasers used for PRK in the whole Navy at the time so the lines were long for a Pfc like me. I kept on it though, and the supply pretty much caught up with the demand. Every servicemember that qualifies medically for it should be able to get it. Hell, I think it should be required. They spend an equivalent amount of money and much more time working miracles getting everybody to class I dental readiness when they first come in, why not class I visual, too?

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
They spend an equivalent amount of money and much more time working miracles getting everybody to class I dental readiness when they first come in, why not class I visual, too?

If they can shorten the full healing process, maybe.

Then again, it's eyes. I feel like it's hard to make teeth worse...

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
1. Be on active duty.

2. Timing, timing, timing...no upcoming deploymehts, not in a ready status, etc...

3. Have a supportive command willing to give you the convalescent time you need.

4. Submit paperwork, get evaluated for procedure, get in line based on needs of the Navy.