• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK limits

Spence

Today I was talking with a Marine captain about my vision being bad, probably around 20/600 or 700, and he said "You're f****ed." It was kind of a gut check like how does he know for sure. My goal is to continue to OCS for the Navy after college graduation next May, but I do need to get my PRK done...if I can. My contact lens prescription is -5.50 in my left and -5.25 in my right. He said my chances are slim that I can do PRK surgery. I did some research on NOMI, and only found that the waiver depends on if your diopters are better or worse than -6.00. So, other than go in for a consultation, which I scheduled today, does anyone have a knowledge on the maximum "bad vision" for PRK?
Thanks

Jay

Max is -8.00, your 20/XXX is not a deciding factor on anything, you'll be fine. If I remember right, your contact prescription is your vision in diopters, exactly what you need.

isshinwhat

None
Mine was 20/400 before PRK (-4.25 in both eyes, I believe) and 20/15 afterwards. The Navy accepted my application for 1. SNA and 2. SNFO, and picked me up for NFO. I say go for it.

tlord82

pilot
I had -5.25 or worse in both eyes before surgery and 20/15 after. I was worried because when I got into ROTC back in 2000 the limit was -5.00. But it was changed shortly thereafter to -8.00. i had my surgery back in 2001 with no problems with the Navy. There should be no reason why you can't get the surgery in order to fly. Make sure you talk to an OSO or recruiter beforehand to make sure that you're doing everything right and keep them informed as you go along. Good luck and by the way...PRK surgery was great!