• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK laser surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyFast

Hello friends, love the site, so for my first post. I just had PRK last month. I doing and seeing well 20/20 in fact! I'm nervous about the medical and the waiver. Everyone is taking PRK now but witha waiver, I need any info anyone can give especially ones that have had the surgery and are trying to get a slot. What are my chances......contrails Patrick

Hartman

Patrick,

If you can already see 20/20, I would say that's outstanding. My eyes took longer to come around, but I ended up with 20/13 vision in each eye and no complications. As far as the MEPS physical/waiver process goes, I wouldn't worry too much about it if you aren't experiencing any complications. I was really worried about the physical, but it turned out to be a breeze. My recommendation for waiver didn't seem to slow down my application either. I had a response from the CNRC within two weeks of sending the packet up to Tenn.

There are a few things that I would recommend you do, however. First, get your MEPS physical as soon as possible. If your pre-surgery eyesight falls into a certain category (I think better than 3.00 diopters or something) you can get your physical 90 days after your surgery, otherwise you have to wait 6 months. My recruiter wasn't up to speed on the logistics of this rule, and I ended up loosing some time. Stay on your recruiter's ass...tell him that you want a physical after 90 days if you're eligible. Make him work for you! The reason that I say this is because I have heard of PRK candidates getting shuffled through MEPS more than once...maybe because they got a nervous doctor...I don't know. Second, ask your civilian eye surgeon to include a cover letter with his medical records basically stating that you are good to go and that there is nothing to worry about. I noticed during my physical that people seemed to take interest in reading my doctor's "opinion" on my eyes in addition to the black and white data for pre-/post-op conditions.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

FlyFast

Hartman, thankx for the reply and advice. I'm just glad to know PRK guys are now getting the chance they deserve. Talk to ya later Patrick

Birdman

So how do you get the waiver? Just go in with it done at your physical after 3 months?

FlyFast

Birdman,
That seems to be the case, after you wait your 3-6 months (depending on your diopters before surgery) and that is after of course the famous ASTB test. Ptrick

Birdman

What happens if you diopters are still changing ( im not even sure mine are or not i haven't checked in awhile)

tomoast

I had PRK 2 1/2 months ago..... about to get my last check up from the Dr. and then apply... I spoke with the people in charge of the PRK Accession study at NOMI in Pensacola. Very helpful and would recomend talking to them if you have any questions. Here is a link to what info I went from. The phone numbers are in here too..
http://navymedicine.med.navy.mil/PRK/refractive_surgery_information.htm

Go to the PRK accession program study message link.... 3rd link down.

I was 20/400 -2.75 and -3.50 and was told that because i was above -5.00 diopters i could apply after 3 months. You also have to be within a certain limit for astigmatism.

I researched this program, the surgery, and a well recommended Dr. pretty well I thought....... So if anyone has any questions...tomoast@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.