• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK/LASEK Options

RivrGuide

Admiral Hartman 4 Life
pilot
I've done a search, so far this specific question has not been answered -
USMC PLC AIR Contract - I passed the P'cola physical (barely passed astigmatism), I'm going to TBS in June,

is it possible to get surgery @any point between now and Flight School w/o completely jacking the whole thing up?

My eyes are passed, I just would like to not have to deal with the glasses anymore.

Thanks

Rivrguide

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
RivrGuide said:
USMC PLC AIR Contract - I passed the P'cola physical (barely passed astigmatism), I'm going to TBS in June,

is it possible to get surgery @any point between now and Flight School w/o completely jacking the whole thing up?

My eyes are passed, I just would like to not have to deal with the glasses anymore.

Thanks

Rivrguide

Not likely. I'd wait until you get your wings, then at some point during your squadron tour, put in for PRK.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
PRK is the only laser eye surgery that NAMI will waiver, so forget about LASEK altogether. It is possible that it could be changed in the future but until that is actually announced put LASEK out of your vocabulary. I had PRK a while ago, and I still ask if NAMI has changed their policy towards LASIK or LASEK and the answer has been consistently NO. Just my two cents!! Good Luck!!

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low
RiperSnifle, LASEK is actually a variation of PRK. LASIK involves cutting a flap in the cornea, PRK/LASEK both involve completely removing the outer layer. The ONLY difference is that in PRK there is a blade used to do it, and in LASEK they just use the laser for it. PRK/LASEK are BOTH approved, however LASIK is not. I had the LASEK variation done, and had my waiver recommended and approved without a hitch.

So, in short, LASIK and LASEK are not the same thing. It's safer to ask your doctor for PRK, most surgeons with newer equipment don't do traditional PRK, just LASEK, but they'll call it PRK to avoid confusion.

Riper Snifle

OCC 194 TBS C 03-07
Why not just get PRK?? I am not arguiing about this, I am only saying that it could aviod a problem, like someone accidently putting down LASIK instead of LASEK and then a person who should have gotten approved doesn't for the simplest of reasons. If you got it approved on LASEK then congratulations and good luck. Laser eye surgery is no small deal, so ask a Flight Surgeon which you should get before making an appointment, he will steer you the right way and help you out!

VS FO

pilot
None
Riper Snifle,
You are partially correct. LASEK was developed as a variation of PRK to reduce corneal hazing in people with higher refractive errors and hopefully speed up healing time. In PRK the epithelial layer over the cornea is removed completely with the electric toothbrush looking thing some of you probably remember. A new epithelial layer must then grow over the cornea. In people with high refractive errors (typically -6.00 or more) the healing process sometimes created opague cells causing hazing. With LASEK the epithelial layer is loosened with an alcohol solution and peeled back. It is not removed with a laser. Following the laser treatment, the layer is attempted to be replaced. Sometimes this is not possible and the LASEK procedure turns into traditional PRK. LASIK actually cuts a flap in the stroma (the deeper portion of the cornea) creating a possibility of flap induced complications. To my knowledge, this is why the navy will not approve waivers for it. LASEK is considered to be in its investigation phase. I do not know if the navy has officially sanctioned the procedure.

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
mkoch said:
The ONLY difference is that in PRK there is a blade used to do it, and in LASEK they just use the laser for it.

As having PRK done a week ago, there is NO blade used in PRK, but there is the electric toothbrush thing as VS FO said (I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it was that. Ha. :D ) A laser is then used to go zap zap zap and that's it.

However, remember that whatever any of us eye doctors say on this site, ask someone that is actually in a position to guarantee what they say is right, aka something in writing signed by the President is always nice. :p

Jeff29

Science Project
RivrGuide said:

Thanks

Rivrguide
There is likely no chance for you to get surgery before flight school. Even if you did, you would then have to go through the waiver process. If you don't need it, don't get it.

Glasses are a pain, but you can usually get approval to wear contacts. If you get jets, the Navy will usually supply you with contacts.

BTW, most flight surgeons know very little about PRK/LASEK/LASIK.

ItsTurboTime

I think the methods of removing the front of the cornea during PRK can differ, just as long as it isn't put back. My surgeon used alcohol then what looked to me to be a little rubber spatula looking thing (maybe it was more like a q-tip? tough to tell from my perspective) to gather and remove the loosened cells.

FrijoleEcho

I know this post has been dead for a bit, but if someone reads it, perhaps it will help. I had PRK and LASEK done back in 03'. Apparently there was a problem with the cornea being to thin during the procedure and the surgeon resorted to LASEK on my right eye and continued with PRK on my left. In the end I had no problem whatsoever getting a waiver for the entire procedure. And in response to a post above, they definately used a blade on my eyes. Not to scare anyone but the aftermath of that procedure was by no means enjoyable. I spent the first night asleep in the bathroom where the street lights couldnt get in. (Highly photosensitive at that time) Now I'm commissioned and awaiting TBS November 27th...my eyes are still great with better that 20/20. Now as a final note as I recall the military informed me that in order to apply for a waiver and get a military opinion about the status of your eyes post surgery you need to wait 6 months after the operation to allow total healing. This may have changed but this is the path I winded up taking.

Circle K

pilot
The bottom line is to make sure you consult NAMI/NOMI and have anything in writing before you proceed. In the case of the original question, the six month wait for the waiver becomes the biggest hurdle.

The whole debate about blade versus no blade is simplified below with links to better info.

PRK = no blade, no flap, longer healing, higher possibility for hazing
LASEK = no blade, flap is "moved" using an alcohol solution, better healing time, less complications so far (still pretty new)
Epi-Lasik= blade is used to lift flap, vice alcohol. Even newer procedure, but supposedly less invasive. Converts to traditional PRK if the flap is too unstable.

Don't get too wrapped up about over the i and e in las"i"k, read further into what the actual procedure is, and always remember that DON needs to approve anything you do FIRST.

http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/lasek.htm

http://www.eyemdlink.com/EyeProcedure.asp?EyeProcedureID=7