• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Journal

foleyswole85

I just had my consultation with Dr. Dornic and I was also impressed with his practice, staff, and attitude. I feel confident in putting my eyesight in his hands. My price was quoted at $3186 out the door with the gold package which included up to 6 month checkups and free touch ups for 2 years; with the military discount (which was actually 15%) Got the surgery scheduled for July 6th. They have a nice in-house financing plan where you pay half at the door and the remaining balance is paid in 4 equal monthly installments. They also offer 3rd party medical financing through a company called Care Credit. I have not personally delt with them but they have a bad rep for scamming people and being dousche bags, I would caution against them, do a google search and you will see.

wish me luck,
Brad

Vegas

AH-1Z
pilot
I just had my consultation with Dr. Dornic and I was also impressed with his practice, staff, and attitude. I feel confident in putting my eyesight in his hands. My price was quoted at $3186 out the door with the gold package which included up to 6 month checkups and free touch ups for 2 years; with the military discount (which was actually 15%) Got the surgery scheduled for July 6th. They have a nice in-house financing plan where you pay half at the door and the remaining balance is paid in 4 equal monthly installments. They also offer 3rd party medical financing through a company called Care Credit. I have not personally delt with them but they have a bad rep for scamming people and being dousche bags, I would caution against them, do a google search and you will see.

wish me luck,
Brad

Good deal, do you know when your going to OCS?

foleyswole85

Good deal, do you know when your going to OCS?

No clue, I tried to get a PLC slot last november but due to high competition and me not being in super shape, I missed out. Capt. Allen was my OSO, really nice guy, wasn't his fault I couldn't crank out 20 pullups my first time in (I've been workin on em though.) All the slots for my grad. year were gone within a couple weeks. I've decided to pursue the Navy's BDCP, been in close contact with the OSO, taking the ASTB tomorrow, and will go in front of the January Pilot boards and hope that my PRK waiver will be in just in time.

Brad

AirAggie92

Hey, what exactly were the qualifications that you met for your PRK? I'm joining NROTC this fall and I'm really hoping that I'll be a candidate for PRK.

foleyswole85

I don't recall any qualifications per se that you need to get the surgery. I know guys have gotten successful PRK with prior vision anywhere from 20/40 to 20/400 (legally blind) Most doctors give free consultations which includes the initial eye scan. Only after the doc scans your eyes and checks you out can you be deemed qualified for the surgery or not.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your question,

Brad

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Hey, what exactly were the qualifications that you met for your PRK? I'm joining NROTC this fall and I'm really hoping that I'll be a candidate for PRK.

This link should help.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...Pages/AeromedicalReferenceandWaiverGuide.aspx

Part 1.6 (Physical Exams & Standards) talks about the requirements for SNA, which you need to meet after surgery. Part 12.15 (Ophthalmology) talks about what you need to have before surgery. When you get to your unit, they should be able to advise you further. Good luck to you!

AirAggie92

This link should help.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...Pages/AeromedicalReferenceandWaiverGuide.aspx

Part 1.6 (Physical Exams & Standards) talks about the requirements for SNA, which you need to meet after surgery. Part 12.15 (Ophthalmology) talks about what you need to have before surgery. When you get to your unit, they should be able to advise you further. Good luck to you!

Thanks! One question though, how much more hyperopia is discovered typically under cycloplegia? Is it usually within .5 diopters of what civillian doctors use?

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
Thanks! One question though, how much more hyperopia is discovered typically under cycloplegia? Is it usually within .5 diopters of what civillian doctors use?

I have absolutely no clue. Common sense would tell me it would be the same if it's an accurate measure, but I have zero experience with that.

nycam12

All,

I had PRK in May and had no problems at all. Before I left for school in August, I had my 3-month checkup and was told my vision was 20/15 and 20/20 with no haze. I went in to the local AF base yesterday for my flight physical and was told there was hazing and I would have to come back after getting it checked again. I saw another civilian eye doctor/surgeon today (I'm far away from my surgeon) and was told there might be a small amount of hazing and was given some prednisolone to be safe, but he wasn't quite sure what the AF doc was talking about.

I was recently selected NFO and am supposed to commission in May (I already might be delayed). Should I be concerned about getting NPQ'd for SNFO? So far it's two well-respected surgeons/doctors against one AF quack, but it seems that the guy on base is the one with my career in his hands. An insight is appreciated...