• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK is acceptable for SNA status, correct?

Eric

Flyboy
Hello all,
I am simply looking for some verification.
I am going to start my first year in NROTC this coming fall (2012) and just want to ask a couple questions about PRK and the Flight qualifications/disqualifications.

Today I spoke with a retired Commander, and by her on admission she wasn't qualified to speak on flight reqs but she continued to tell me a few things that I do not believe are true.
1) She was under the impression that vision for flight could not be correctable and must be natural 20/20.
PRK is acceptable by Navy standards and you can become a SNA, correct? Provided your vision is corrected to the acceptable range.​

2) She was under the impression that if PRK was acceptable (which she didn't agree with) that those applicants with out having gone through the surgery would far outnumber those with PRK and as such you virtually wouldn't get a flight slot after having PRK. How much of that is true?

Now having said that. When would I need to have PRK done in order to stay competitive with my class of midshipmen? Would it be near the end of my senior year? After I graduate?

Thanks for any help,
ERB

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
There are countless threads on the forum about this topic.

While I'm sure the commander is trying to be helpful, she has not stayed current with the progressing acceptance of laser eye surgery in military aviation.

I had PRK pre-commissioning, as have many others. If you are outside the acceptable vision range, you will be NPQ, which is fine, because you'll just have to apply for a waiver once you get PRK done. Tons of people have had PRK, and tons more have waivers of various kinds. I don't know the current numbers, but there are members on this forum who are much more informed and can help you with specifics.

exNavyOffRec

I believe the following applies to NROTC as well as OCS, but the selections are done based on academics and the ASTB, technically a guy blind as a bat could get selected via the OCS route.

ajohn921

pilot
None
Had PRK done in August and will commission in May pending an approved waiver which I'm told should be no problem. Previous myopia and the corrective surgery had no effect on my service selection, only academics, ASTB and CO's recommendation. However, if you fall within certain parameters post-op, it may disqualify you from flight and/or commissioning, so read up:

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/navme...ments/Waiver Guide - Ophthalmology 100505.pdf