• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK in Maryland

Ailen

I'm looking to get PRK done in Maryland (I live in Baltimore, but grew up in Montgomery County), but haven't yet found a place I'm completely comfortable with. I've checked with both the University of Maryland Medical Center Laser Vision Center and the Eye Consultants of Maryland. I'm sure both places offer competent care, but they, along with most doctors, seem to do 99.5% LASIK. I'm sure that they've done many PRK procedures before, but I'd like to find a doctor that still has his or her hand in the game with PRK. I do have an appointment with one of the TLC Vision centers in the area in the near future.

Has anyone had the surgery done in the area and have a recommendation for their doctor? I'd prefer the Montgomery County or Baltimore regions so that follow-up appointments are easier to get to.

Thanks.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I had mine done in Maryland by Dr. Whitten at TLC Rockville. Same guy who did Tiger Woods.

The price was a little steeper than what some of my friends paid, but I have no complaints about the surgery, they did excellent work.

Ailen

I had mine done in Maryland by Dr. Whitten at TLC Rockville. Same guy who did Tiger Woods.

The price was a little steeper than what some of my friends paid, but I have no complaints about the surgery, they did excellent work.

Thanks for the rec. My consultation with TLC is at one of his centers so I'll definitely be checking that out. I'm not too worried about price. You've only got one pair of eyes, right? And the prices at the other places I checked were pretty high also, averaging $2,800/eye. One place (the UMd. Med. Center) did have a $1,000 discount for state/federal gov't employees.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
I paid $5000 for the whole deal. $1000 off for Military.

Whalebite

I highly reccomend Dr Grochmal, his office is in Catonsville, and he uses various laser centers in the area for the procedure. He did mine, 20/15 20/15+ , did my brother (who had to have one eye redone) and my girlfriend 20/15 20/15. Get VISX s3 or s4 laser with wavefront, my vision is outstanding.

I am at primary, my bro is at navyocs with a flight contract, so it works. any questions let me know. My price was 3800 i beleive.
http://www.grochmaleye.com/index.html

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Ailen, I had mine done at the Laser Center at Tyson's Corner, VA the summer before I went to OCS in 2000. I'm still better than 20/20 6 years later.

purduenavy

BDCP SNA
If you are in BDCP and you could use the PRK, I'm 20/30 and 20/40 will the navy pay for it? I'm alittle worried I won't pass the in-physical at OCS.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I highly reccomend Dr Grochmal, his office is in Catonsville, and he uses various laser centers in the area for the procedure. He did mine, 20/15 20/15+ , did my brother (who had to have one eye redone) and my girlfriend 20/15 20/15. Get VISX s3 or s4 laser with wavefront, my vision is outstanding.[/url]

Concur. That's who did mine last year. From 20/400 to 20/15 in 24 hours. Still great and no side effects.