• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK in Dallas - UT Southwestern Experience

TwosBlind

Since everyone seems to be doing write ups about their PRK, I guess ill add my own experience into the mix.

I was 20/400 or so in both eyes, blind as a bat without contacts before I went into the surgery. I chose UT southwestern because of the reputation of the laser eye surgery practice there. They "fix other doctors mistakes". They say patients come to them to get the job done right after some other dr. booth wannabe clown messes it up and cant redeem himself.

Went in for the consultation 2 weeks before the surgery. Spent about an hr and a half at the office, and had my eyes measured and examined in every way possible. As a side note, i had had a consultation done at a "lesser known" office in Austin a few months before and was put through maybe 2/3 the tests that UT SW put me through. This was reassuring since it was obvious they were going to make sure I was DEFINATELY a condidate before zapping my eyes. Anyway, everything checked out, I met the doctor, and the surgery was scheduled for 2 weeks out.

Day of the Surgey - Arrived at 12, the surgery was scheduled for 1. They gave me very little pre-op instructions - just eat a light meal and be on time. No problem. Showed up and went through some paper work, waited around for a bit, and was called back a little after 1. At this point they re-measured my corneas just to make sure everything was still good to go. Then I was taken to an exam room where I was given a hair net and some booties. A nurse came in an put some numbing eye drops in my eyes which felt a little odd after they kicked in, but nothing uncomfortable. I waited for about 15min in this room, then the doctor came in and directed me into the exam room. There were 3 or 4 nurses in there standing around a large reclined dentist-like chair with lazer equpiment attatched to it. Everything was very laid back, nurses were all very nice, doctor had a few jokes etc...no valium though. I asked if they gave their patients anything before the proceedure and they said no. Would have been fun though. Anyway, laid back in the chair and got some more numbing drops, and had my right eye covered. My left eye was taped open, and an instrument was put on my eye to push it open and keep it there - it was a little uncomfortable but not painful in any way. After some more numbing drops he took a tool with a spinning brissle on the end - much like an electric toothbrush, and began to "sand away" the top layer of my cornea. No pain whatsoever, just some pressure. After this, he took a small metal tool and scraped away what was left of the layer he had been sanding away. Once again no pain. He then told me to look up at a red light, and the laser show began. It was a weird experience because you cannot see anything besides the laser light itself, and it crackles and pops, and smells like burning hair, but no pain, and very little discomfort. THis probably lasted 15-20seconds max. He then held something on my eye that cooled it, and placed a protective contact lense in my eye. They then repeated the exact same thing with my right eye. Once again no pain. When it was all said and done with it lasted probably about 10-15min max. I could also see much better right away, and had no pain or sensitivity at all at first.

Leaving the office everything was fine until I stepped outside in the direct sunlight...my eyes basically closed up, they were very sensitive to the light. After about 20min the numbing drops began to wear off...this is when my 3 day hell began. Long story short, the pain was very bad when I wasnt on my pain meds. COuldnt open my eyes at all because of pain and light sensitivity, even in an almost completely dark room, even light coming uncerneath the closed door in my room was hard to look at. I had a lot of hydrocodne and was instructed to take it all day everyday as long as i needed it. So i slept for almost 3 days straight, which was nice because when i was awake I wanted to rip my eyes out. I was unable to see well enough to drive until day 5.

Pain began to fade on day 4, but light sensitivity lasted until day 5 or 6. Went back for my 1 week post op and was told everything looked great, and I was seeing pretty good too...until he removed the protective lenses. I guess they had a slight correction in them becasue without them my vision was considerably worse. Bad enough to once again prevent me from driving for day or so. It quickly got better though with the religious use of the steroidal eye-drops i was given (Omni-pred).

Now im about 3.5 weeks out and my vision is much improved. No pain, no dryness, no itching, but no 20/20 either. I went in for my FAA class 3 and failed the near vision with 20/60 or so, and barely hit 20/40 distant. I guess its going to take some more time to heal.

All in all, Im glad I had it done, even though I didint really have a choice. Honestly, If it wasnt for my desire to fly in the military I would have either stuck with my contacts or gone with LASIK as the pain I experienced after surgery wasnt really worth it as far as having the proceedure done for kicks...but most definately worth it if military aviation is where you wanna be. No pain no gain right?

Hope someone finds this write up helpful. Excuse any shitty spelling or missed punctuation as Ive still got some ghosting when it comes to reading small type and such.