• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Future

slurvin

It's good cape weather, cool, breezy
I am still in High school but I have been researching te process of becoming a pilot in the Navy/Marines for a while now. My eyes are 20/30ish (going for an eye exam within 2 weeks) and they have been slowly worsening each year. I am interested in not having to wear contacts or glasses, so I am obviously drawn to PRK surgery because it is approved by the military.

I am going to try and apply for a Marine PLC pilot contract freshmen year at college, which is about a year and a half from now. I am just trying to see if PRK would be a good investment say 5-6 years down the line when hopefully if I am qualified I get sent to flight school. Does anyone know if the military will keep the waiver for PRK around in 5 years?

Also if I contract for PLC and my vision is still under 20/40 and correctable with glasses but then worsens through college would I be able to get PRK and be waivered? Anyone had any experience with this?

MotoZuki

Slurvin,

If your vision is better than 20/40 and correctable to 20/20 w/ glasses, you will not need PRK. You can still have it done of course, but it will be a choice of convenience for you. PRK usually is not encouraged for eyes that are less than 21-25 years old. If your vision has weakened in the past 6 mo. or year, the surgeon should ask you to wait until your vision stabilizes for a year or so. I would bet that the PRK waiver will still be in effect in the next 5 -6 years and by then perhaps even LASIK will be acceptable. Unless they find some problem w/ PRK pilots, I would not think they'd do away with it. Others may know better than I. I'm not a doctor, just an applicant who went through the PRK machine 2 months ago.

Moto

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
It's all timing too. If Big Navy deems that they currently have too many pilots/NFO's, they could (and have) changed entry requirements, which can range from grades in API to physical requirements to whatever. In my experience, hope for the best, plan for the worst, nothing in the Navy is guaranteed until you're actually doing it.

All that said, good luck and keep it up. Good on you for getting such a jump on the game.