• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK for NFO Applicant?

teejmc

I was selected NFO, prior to getting PRK. That being said, I hated wearing an EAB mask and trying to fit my glasses in them, while I served on submarines. I hated wearing glasses in general, and was not allowed to wear contacts while on submarines. I would assume, the ability to not have to wear glasses, or contacts that dry out, while on mission, would make my QOL better no matter what profession I choose, especially if I have to wear a mask ;) That being said, if you don't mind wearing glasses and you are qualified as an NFO and want to be an NFO, then don't run the risk of being disqualified post PRK process, just for creature comforts. My choice wasn't to make me qualified to be a pilot (however I do enjoy opening doors in life, rather than closing or ignoring them) and the Navy paid for it, so it was a win win situation for me :D
The thing is I dont believe that im even qualified for NFO. I have 20/40 uncorrected with 20/20 corrected but according to my most recent eye exam my astigmatism is greater than -3.00 diopters, which is the cutoff.

Ralph

I didn't know that there was an astigmatism requirement unless you wanted eye surgery, can someone clarify this?