• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK for CG Aviators

foleyswole85

Does anyone know if the USCG is allowing PRK for pilots now? All the info I can find via search says that only non aviation personnel can get it. I guess I would buy that if it were 5-10 years ago, but every other branch is allowing it now. I don't see what special circumstances the CG has that would support their ban of PRK for aviators.

Thanks in advance,

Brad

pjmack25

As far as i know the CG will allow PRK im not sure for pilots but i know you can for aircrew....you just cant get Lasik....

foleyswole85

Still looking for some solid gouge on this. I found out that winged CG aviators are allowed PRK but can find no documentation stating the policy for new pilot applicants. I was willing to accept the possibility that I won't get flight school right out of OCS but if PRK for flight applicants is not allowed then I'm not left with much hope. Just don't understand why the CG would hold out when every other branch allows it now.

I also wonder if they'll use my PRK surgery as a weed out factor, regardless of the fact that my vision is perfect now. ie 20/20 accuity and none of the side effects of surgery.

foleyswole85

If it is possible for me to call a flight surgeon office of some sort I gladly will and post my findings but I honestly don't know how to approach that possibility.